1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Expectations and Dominion

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Lily Rose, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

In researching the word dominion, I have found references to the Hebrew root word, yorade, which is beautiful concept of: to have communion with and compassion for ...

Many believe dominion means dominance. Thus, the confusion in translation within the Genesis book, 1:28. Different bibles have slightly different wording. Essentially, it reads: And God said .... replenish the earth, and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

I do not advocate or subscribe to any one religion. My beliefs are wide and varied, and I believe there are aspects of Truth scattered like raindrop upon the ocean. I do, however, believe there is great wisdom within The Book.

This said, it is our dominance and our expectations that contribute so greatly to our angst. Rather than compassion, we engage in manipulations; rather than dominion, we engage in dominance.

When we cease imposing expectations on others, our strife lessens.

I cannot be who you wish me to be .... I can only be who I am.
    You cannot be who I wish you to be ... you can only be who you are.

This is how it should be. We are unique in our experiences, and unique in our manifestations of our experiences. We learn from each other, not to become each other, but to enrich who and what we already are. We add new layers, new growth. As snowflakes are unique, as the trees are unique ... this is us.

When anger arises, step back and ask why (do this after employing Walt's laughter-method ;) ), and seek the real source. Very often, if you are truthful with yourself, you will find the anger stems from a thwarted expectation. I want ..... when this "I want ...." fails to materialize, we get angry.

This is not to say we should not have expectations. My beautiful mother expected her children to be a fully functioning contributor to the household, be it chores or contributing finances. Those expectations served my brother and I quite well. We all need to be part of the larger picture .. part of communities. This is our nature. We depend on our society, even those of us who are introverts.

Many expectations, however, or driven by the Ego, or a need to bury, suppress, satisfy, gratify, score points, dominate ... these are examples of where anger can erupt.

Dominion rather than dominance.
    Intentions rather than expectations.

Looking inward, seek the source. When you think you have it .... seek deeper, beneath the first answer. Even beneath the second answer.

We smash ourselves with expectations, and so many of those expectations so extreme that we cannot help but fail. A cycle then is created.

Un-create that cycle.

All these emotions ... we are wild, wonderful beings with so much lightness and darkness and passion.

It is wonderful to be alive.

with grace and gratitude,
    ^_^