1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Exertion headaches

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Kev74, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Kev74

Kev74 Peer Supporter

So, something new has poped up out of the blue. Last month I noticed when I go to the gym to workout, my head would start to hurt when I would exert myself, especially with upperbody exercises. It goes away within a few minutes, although I might feel a random twinge of discomfort for awhile after. Needles to say it has put a damper on my workouts. The strange thing is the last time I went to the gym it didn't give me any trouble, so there must be some sort of trigger. I have read different things online. Some people say it's from improper breathing, although it was never a problem before. Others say it is because of poor posture, which could certainly be true. Although I am not counting out the possiblity of TMS. It did start around the time I started to get stressed about things, and even now I have a lot of fears and concerns about my future. I just want to get over it. Working out is a stress realiver for me, and if I couldn't workout it would make me more stressed.

2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

...if I couldn't workout it would make me more stressed....

Exactly, fear is the culprit. I experienced this with the sports I enjoy and I learned that worrying about not being able to play is counterproductive for physical problems. By the way, the same goes for feelings of anger during play; it seems my brain is anxious about me starting to act it out and make a fool of myself.

Lizzy likes this.
  3. Ines

Ines Well known member

I used to get migraines after every workout. I thought it was from cardio but I worked through it and now it's not a problem. It's just TMS.

Ellen likes this.