1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 3 Exercising

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by NewGwen, Jul 21, 2015.

1. NewGwen

NewGwen Newcomer

I'm a bit late in this post, but got caught up with weekend activities! Back today though :)

When was the last time you exercised or did another physical activity? What was this activity?

I ran this morning, but it's always so hard to exercise first thing in the morning because that's when my pain is worst (it's typically virtually gone by mid day). Once I get going though, it gets better usually.

How did it make you feel physically and emotionally? If it is has been a while since you last exercised, why?

But these days I'm so slow at running, I used to run ~8:30 minute miles, and now I'm as slow as 10 minutes sometimes. This is mostly because I never fully recovered from my ACL/meniscus tear of 1.5 years ago and run so infrequently these days, and less because of my TMS back pain. It still makes me sad though. I want to make a goal of getting back to at least 9 minute miles for a full 3-4 mile run within a month's time, which I think I can do and want to prove to myself that I still can.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, NewGwen. I think you're doing fine. You will increase your running speed as you lose more pain, and that comes from dealing with your TMS emotions. You're putting pressure on yourself that may go with a perfectionist personality. I know you want to run faster and time your runs, but are you maybe overdoing that? I seldom see runners look happy. To me, the purpose of running should be to enjoy the run, not so much how fast they run on the clock. Sorry, but I am not a runner. I love to walk and look at nature around me. Especially I love to walk slowly with my darling dog.

NewGwen likes this.