1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 3 Exercise

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by MSZ812, May 23, 2015.

1. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

The last time I exercised was about 2 weeks ago. I had just finished Sarno's book and wanted to return (albeit slowly) to my pre-TMS routines. I walked about 2 miles at dirt track near my home. The pain in my right trapezius was there, especially when I tried to jog. Emotionally, I felt proud that I tried to exercise. Like many of you, exercise was one of the first things I had stopped doing once my TMS symptoms began. My free time away from work for the past 15 months was ALL about pain management. I'd come home from work and try to find a comfortable position and stay there. It has made my life pretty boring. On my days off, my focus was "rest", since I assumed my pain was from overuse.

I'd love to go to the gym a few days a week, play basketball again with my friends, and toss the football around with my nephew. I'm hopeful for the first time in a long time that these activities are in my near future.

-Matt

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Matt! I can promise you that your activity level and enjoyment will come back. I was crippled with TMS for well over a year - and had been very very active. I read Steve Ozanich's book The Great Pain Deception and became convinced that I needed to resume activity as quickly as possible. It took a little while - but I kept going no matter what the TMS pain was doing - and in the end - I always felt better that I exerted control over the TMS by exercising. AND it reduced my stress and helped me sleep better. I know it seems hard to believe right now... But it will happen for you!!

MSZ812 and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  3. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Good for you, Matt! You're well on the road to recovery, since you've become aware of how TMS operates. I think you're wise to start slowly, but by all means continue. Kudos to you!

MSZ812 likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Matt.

You're getting great advice and encouragement from the ladies' posts. I can only echo them.
    Do whatever exercise you can and it will build your strength and morale.

Soon you're going to run and jump and sink those baskets!

MSZ812 likes this.
  5. Regrowth

Regrowth New Member

Nice work! I remember when I was diagnosed with wrist tendonitis. I put my wrists in braces and used them as little as possible. It only made things more sore and worse! Eventually, I just started building up to regular activity again - and it definitely helped! So you're not alone, keep it up!