1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 3 Exercise

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Ithantech, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Ithantech

Ithantech Peer Supporter

My back pain began on Saturday, Dec 23 after a two day trip to visit my family. Earlier that week, I had enthusiastically written "Exercise" on my calendar as a recurring daily activity. And I had started off the week by going to yoga, walking the dog and managing to throw in some interval sprints, and tried a new Barre class.

But since the pain started, I have rarely left the house and my exercise has been limited to climbing the steps a few times per day. I can be pain free for a few steps, but then my left leg struggles to bear weight and it not only hurts but starts to shake and grow numb, so I sit until it passes.

As I have been taking in the new perspective on TMS, I have tried a couple of 5 minute yoga practices which have felt good.

Yesterday, during the Day 2 goal setting, I set a goal of attending a full 1 hour yoga class by Saturday. Even writing this, I feel anxious and wonder if that is too ambitious.

I should add, that I am spending about two hours every morning immersed in TMS resources - reading, listening, and writing in my journal. I have really let a lot of repressed emotions come out and feel very grateful. Yet, as my limited physical activity indicates, I still have a ways to go.

2. Ithantech

Ithantech Peer Supporter

Update...since making this Day 3 post earlier today, I was kind of ashamed about being so inactive. So, in the comfort of my own home, I put on a 30 minute yoga practice that I had followed often before. Yes I felt pain at times bit I kept going through the poses. I got through the whole 30 minutes and feel great. I drank a bunch of water afterwards and popped a few Advil because some muscle soreness is normal.

So rather than feeling ashamed, I feel good. I even here James Brown singing in my head.

MWsunin12 likes this.
  3. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

I love your courage to move ahead. James Brown is a perfect song for every success.

Ithantech likes this.