1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 3 Exercise

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by resilient, Feb 25, 2017.

1. resilient

resilient New Member

Exercise

I walk daily. I love walking and walk up to 4.5 miles over the course of a day. However, I want to run or lift weights or jog. I miss these activities and I am sad that I am afraid to do them. Right now I have restrictions because of the hysterectomy I had 4.5 weeks ago but the reason I did not exercise before that was because I fear the pain, and numbness in my feet. I always felt a good muscle burn after exercise and it was great but now I feel strange sensations and vibration in my feet after I walk. I feel sad about this.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, resilient. It's great that you take walks every day. Maybe try to walk a little faster each day and ignore any pain. You also could try walking in place at a little faster pace. Maybe listen to cheerful music while you talk, to take your mind off any discomfort.

resilient likes this.
  3. resilient

resilient New Member

Thanks Walt, those are great ideas. I am hoping to run soon :)

4. RichieRich

RichieRich Well known member

I had what I thought was peroneal tendonitis some time ago. I spent about 2 and 1/2 months hating life, struggling to walk. Everytime I stepped down with my right foot extreme pain shot through the side and the ankle. After visiting the physical therapist a few times, it started to abate. I was still afraid to run. I had tried and looked like a marionette running through the street, like I was running through fire. The physical therapist had me start slow by running 2 mins on and 1 minute off. I think it only took about 1 to 2 months before I was back to normal, pain free running.

Start small.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  5. resilient

resilient New Member

That is great Richie Rich! Thanks for your comments and support.

6. mikestevemike

mikestevemike Newcomer

Hi Resilient, I am also early in the SEP. I hope you get back to the level of activity you're working toward soon! What's been helpful for me so far as I've been back on my bicycle a bit lately, maybe you're doing this already, has been to get really vocal with the pain even to the point where I'm laughing out loud at it! Been adjusting my thoughts/attitude as well but certain situations where I voice these thoughts, where I say them out loud, seem to be helping me. Good luck to you

resilient likes this.
  7. resilient

resilient New Member

Thank you MikeSteveMike. That is a good idea! I am going to try a stationary bike over the next week.