1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 3 Exercise...

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by mouse, Oct 10, 2015.

1. mouse

mouse New Member

Hey everyone! I was really surprised how many people replied to my first day's post, and even more surprised at how encouraged it made me feel, so here I am back again on day 3, where the question to ponder is about the last time you exercised.

Since my TMS pain is mostly in my wrist and stomach (IBS-style) it hasn't had the kind of impact that back, leg, or other types of TMS pain might have on exercise, and even when I'm very ill I still try to get a good walk around the neighborhood.

The biggest obstruction I've ever had is not pain during exercise, but after it - sometimes when my heart rate gets up there (or even when I'm not exercising, when I'm just somewhere very hot) my stomach starts to feel sick and I even get diarrhea... I've never been a very athletic person, and having to sit on the toilet for 45 minutes after a workout definitely isn't very motivating....

Since I recently moved to SoCal, I'm very aware of the intense heat (even now in October, yikes!!) and feeling fearful, even when I'm just on my semi-leisurely walks. I think I've definitely just conditioned myself to expect the pain though, and so, as a self-fulfilling prophecy, it happens!

I'm feeling hopeful for the next time I do a serious workout that maybe I can just feel the fear rather than hiding it in my stomach again. My new roommates and I sometimes do these sort-of intense old workout videos they found on YouTube... I want to ask them to do it again soon!

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I can relate, mouse! I've had, and still have, what is often referred to as "exercise anxiety". I'm really consciously trying to change that, by being mindful of my negative self-talk as I exercise, and switching my thoughts instead to the improvement in my muscle tone and my conditioning as I do it. It helps!

But the heat? Ugh. I'm totally with you there and I'm afraid I have a very bad attitude to it. I moved to the Pacific NW to live happily in the rain (I don't mind bundling up) but this summer was more like your neck of the woods.

Anyway, one thing at a time - working on the exercise issue, you don't have to feel the fear so much as recognize and acknowledge it, accept yourself in spite of it, and then replace the fear with a more constructive and positive message.

Your physical reaction to exercise is part of the fight-or-flight mechanism that your brain uses to protect you from danger. If you automatically think of exercise with fear and trepidation, your brain isn't sophisticated enough to know better - it just puts you into FOF mode automatically. The good news is that you have the power to change that.

mouse likes this.
  3. mouse

mouse New Member

Insightful response as usual, Jan!! Will practice recognizing and acknowledging. Got back to walking after a few days break and had no problems, so that's good!
    Ugh, I would love to live somewhere nice and rainy... why does my industry have to be here in the desert? :(

JanAtheCPA likes this.