1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 3 Exercise without supervision

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Tracey, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Tracey

Tracey New Member

On to day 3, and thinking about exercise. It's a funny issue--if you had asked me a few months ago, I'd say that I exercised a lot. Now with Sarno I realize that I have seriously curtailed the sort of activities I can do, not only because of taste but because of fear. I only exercise in classes where there is a teacher watching. I think one of the reasons is because it makes me feel safer. (Being more generous to myself before, I would have said that I liked learning and enjoyed the classes in their own right--which is true, but perhaps not the full story.) I am gearing up to start jogging again. This will be a big step for me for a few reasons. One, I definitely had a fear of "impact" from pounding pavement. I think I'm over that now. Two, I will be exercising without supervision. I don't feel quite ready yet; I want to have a better understanding of the emotions I've been repressing first. But running is a goal of mine, for the next month.

JanAtheCPA and JoelA like this.
  2. JoelA

JoelA Peer Supporter

I can relate to your running fear. I'm solving it by having a physiotherapist (with years of experience of the importance of overcoming fear of movement and pain) with me in my first steps towards running. Maybe you find a similar solution?

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Yep, there's no single answer - whatever it takes, and whatever works for you! This is a great idea, Joel. Too bad I despise jogging :p I'm doing weight training (at age 62!) - something I would never have envisioned for myself twenty years ago, and certainly not two years ago before discovering Dr. Sarno.

Jan

4. Shanshu Vampyr

Shanshu Vampyr Well known member

:)

I love exercising. My neck and right shoulder have been killing me for about 2 months. Still I hop onto the weight machines. Smith machine bench press, you will not defy me!!! :)

...Although, perhaps two days in a row of the same muscle group is a bit over-much. :DDD

5. Tracey

Tracey New Member

I went for a short jog the other day--it was exhilarating! I didn't realize how scared I was to run on pavement until I actually did it. What a relief to prove to my brain that there was nothing to be scared of.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  6. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

Thank you for sharing Tracey! I'm inspired & encouraged by your post! Reward your brain for having the courage to trust you enough to let you run on the pavement (mine likes ice cream!)!

JanAtheCPA likes this.