1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 3 Exercise... high as a kite...!?@

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by igloo, Nov 28, 2012.

1. igloo

igloo New Member

Hi folks - I'm going to answer the question below posed in the Structured Educational Programme:

When was the last time you exercised or did another physical activity? What was this activity? How did it make you feel physically and emotionally? If it is has been a while since you last exercised, why?

Walking
    For the last 4 years, I have suffered from severe pains in both legs, which has limited my mobility to a few dozen metres on a typical day. This has all began to change since I started understanding TMS...

Today I went for a walk around the local park + some streets in the neighbourhood. I walked for 30 minutes at a good pace. The weather was bad so I was the only person in the park. I didn't care - it was wonderful to be able to feel the elements against my skin to to feel my body working again. (Listening to John Coltrane on my ipod also helps ;).)

After the walk, I felt a headrush sensation and my mind felt incredibly alert. As if I'd drunk 4 cups of very strong coffee. This sensation lasted throughout the day and at times felt like I was high (if only!) I might have expected this if I'd been running, but I think my body just isn't used to the physical exercise after 4 years of near hibernation.

Swimming and cycling
    I have been spending time in the pool recently, initially just doing gentle exercises recommended by my physiotherapist (which I've now stopped). I got bored with this and started swimming lengths with my arms only, to avoid flaring up my leg pain. It was amazing to be using my whole body and feel my heart racing from something than other than anger and frustration!

I then tried 2 lengths with arms and legs - and the next time I swam 6 lengths - will no flare up. I couldn't wait to do more!

A false start?
    Unfortunately, I had to stop swimming 2 weeks ago after my shoulders began hurting. A local group provides adapted bicycles for people with disabilities to ride around a park. Afraid to use my legs, I tried a cycle with a hand crank instead of pedals - very hard work, but it felt wonderful to feel the wind in my hair and cruise through the autumn leaves. But I overdid it and it left me with sharp pains in my shoulders. Of course, it occurred to me that this could be TMS, but it is starting to fade and I think it was a genuine temporary sports injury.

So while I've been getting off to a good start with exercise, I've always had a tendency to push myself and do too much (I mean, who runs slowly? ;)) I see the shoulder injury as an annoying, but minor setback, and intend to continue swimming. I'm going to leave the disabled cycles for those who genuinely need them and dust off my mountain bike instead. And until the shoulder is better, my legs will have to all the hard work...

2. tarala

tarala Well known member

Wow, Igloo, it sounds like next you'll be cycling 20 miles. Good for you!

igloo likes this.
  3. igloo

igloo New Member

Haha thanks. Love your optimism ;)