1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S. (New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. Bonnard is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 Exercise doubts

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Cleo, May 30, 2016.

1. Cleo

Cleo Newcomer

Experiencing a lot of fears and doubts today. Last night I did an exercise class and woke up with intense hamstring and bum pain on the left side. I can feel the sore trigger points all the way down and so am struggling to focus on the emotional rather than physical. I have written a letter to my pain which I have done on more than one occasion. I have thanked the pain but I am thankful. The pain came in a time when I was using exercise to control my low self worth and the pain was neccesary to slow me down and re focus on my inner beauty and growth. However after 4 years and tremendous growth I have told pain I am ready to move on and release it. The pain hasn't shifted and I have good and bad days some days I see the pain and feel acceptance and don't panic. Other days I just want to be empowered, exercise whenever I want and live the pain free life that I know I can have. I do get frustrated when I exercise and then experience intense pain it takes over the rest of my thoughts and I struggle to ignore it. I am also worried about exercising again even though I know this will keep me in the TMS cycle. Thank you for listening. Love to all!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi again, Cleo. It isn't easy or fun to exercise and feel pain, but Steve Ozanich tells how keeping active and TMS belief, healed his many pains. He played golf despite the pain and, when he discovered his repressed emotions, he healed. His book makes great reading: The Great Pain Deception.

You probably felt most of the pain after the exercise class because your muscles weren't used to that much of a workout. Maybe go slower, ease up on how much you do, but keep doing some exercise.

Try not to let your inner bully tell you about your self-worth. You are doing great. Your inner beauty shows in your post.

3. Ines

Ines Well known member

Hmmm I'm trying to think of advice for you but it sounds like you are on the right track. The only thing I can think of is changing your exercise routine to something more fun. Maybe your inner child relates it to when you were putting too much pressure on it and being your own inner bully. Exercise is good but maybe you need a change? I'm not sure if that's right for you but it's all I can think of.

4. Cleo

Cleo Newcomer

Hi

Thank you for the advice.

Unfortunately I am a teacher in Thailand at the moment and live in a small town so fun exercise options are limited. I only have WiFi at work etc but I do yoga and stretch everyday which I love and I am running around a beautiful lake in the morning for 15 minutes and I love to run ....the nerve pain persists unfortunately just on the left side but like I said to Walt ....I must keep remembering not to take life to seriously!!

Thank you.

5. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Peer Supporter

I agree with Walt. Reading one of the books is a powerful way to get started. Remember, knowledge about TMS is what makes it go away so reading and concentrating on the book is good. I read The Mindbody Prescription (Sarno) and it was great for me. SteveO's book (The Great Pain Deception) had tons of great information and great quotes but for me it was too much about the pain and I found it too depressing. Exercising because you enjoy it is probably a good idea but exercising as a therapy for your pain may not be since you might be focusing on the physical rather than psychological. It is somewhat different for everyone.