1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

EVERYONE on this forum, MUST watch the movie "HEAL":

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by avik, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Thanks for letting me know. I am trying hard to ignore the pain, not there yet. Most of my other points of pain in my body have dissipated but for some reason this hip, buttock, thigh pain still persists. Still holding on. Your story offers me inspiration.
    Kindly
    Lainey

2. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

I unfortunately did not have the pleasure of knowing him personally, but he did inspire me. The idea of an AIDS patient with opportunistic infections including cancer taking a mind-body approach as well as loving and fighting for his life is one of my biggest inspirations. He looked fear right in the eyes and overcame it. I too often see people wondering whether this or that is TMS, and as someone who has a congenital connective tissue disorder that is greatly worsened by stress, I can relate to him on some level. That’s why I don’t believe the aforementioned documentary is “woo-woo” - our minds are incredibly powerful, and affect every part of the body, from our cells to our nerves to our muscles and beyond. Structural or not, everything is affected by our psyche.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2019
    plum, EileenS and Lainey like this.
  3. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

And, I so agree with you. It is often so difficult to 'explain' to well-meaning folk who want to help with their own ideas. Rather thank ignore them I usually try to explain about my approach to the issues at hand. They usually listen politely but follow-up with something about 'well, what do the docs think. Frustrating but then again, it is all one step at a time. Each of us comes to our own enlightenment in our own way.
    Kindly
    Lainey

plum and Dorado like this.
  4. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Exactly. That’s why I only listen to doctors who provide an opportunity for me to participate in my own healing and thriving! I remember reading about a man who had cancer and was told he would die just after Christmas. Well, he did, but an autopsy showed that the cancer had actually gone into remission and was no longer deadly. His belief killed him. Some of these doctors are practicing voodoo, not true medicine!

plum and Lainey like this.
  5. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Hi Avik, That's an inspiration and good tidbit of info; "ignoring the pain can be quite difficult but the decision to do so was quite simple." Thanks.
    I have a question for you Avik. What did Dr Rashbaum do to diagnose you with TMS? I live in Toronto Canada and there are no TMS doctors in Canada. I would need to travel to the US to have a consultation with one and pay out-of-pocket for the appointment. Although I love NY and am way overdue for a trip there for my NY 'love fix', I would like an idea of what a doctor does before I schedule a trip around seeing a TMS doctor such as Dr Rashbaum. Did he look at your mri, x-ray, or ignore them? Did he check your range of motion? Ask when something hurt? Check for reflexes and nerve responses? Any info on what went on in your appointment would be appreciated by me and probably others.
    Thanks.