1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Episacral lipoma or 'Back Mice'

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Pingman, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Pingman

Pingman Well known member

It seems like part of my back pain can be attributed to pushing down on these little nodules i have in my lower back, around the iliac crest area.

Went to a chiropractor who said he could feel them and has felt them on other people as well. Thats when I found the information on the web. Seems like the medical community doesn't know all that much about them but some massage therapists, chiros and some doctors do. Seems to be a fat nodule that herniates through the fascia. Most times they are not painful but sometimes there is some nerve impact and they can be painful.

I guess the fix is possibly surgical removal and the herniated spot fixed.

My question is this. If 90% of people with them have no pain, could there be a TMS aspect to them since there is neurological impact?

What I find interesting is this..

1. I have felt this on my left side now for years, always when I started golfing each year. I suspected it was just sore muscles as I would feel the nodule and rub it like a muscle knot. Eventually it would go away.
    2. I never realized I had one on my right side until I was having other TMS issues and was attempting to rub my back with a tennis ball and hit it. I grinded on it like it was a knot and made it hurt.
    3. No it has my utmost attention

Even though there is a "possible" structural issue, does it seem likely that the TMS in the area could be causing pain?

I read some of the people on the internet talking about how the pain from this is terrible but I wonder if they are so mentally fixated they are amplify what would normally be a small pain?

I guess the fact that I never associated any fear to them when I had the one in my left side and it went away should give me my answer. Just curious if anyone has heard of these or has a perspective?

Its tough when you wake up and the first thing yor mind goes to is the pain.

2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Like many issues with 'back pain' - sometimes there is a cause seen in xrays or physical exam - but some people with it get pain - others don;t... that's what alerted Dr Sarno in the first place.... Read The Divided Mind and see what you think....!

3. Pingman

Pingman Well known member

What I am starting to see is how it is moving. While my back hurts less, now my leg is sore and twitching. Guess what, I was worried about Sciatica yesterday because someone asked me if I had any leg pain.

4. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

That is definitely the mind-body connection/TMS!

I don't know anything about pisacral lipoma, and I am not a medical professional, but I do know that if 90% of people don't feel anything... something is definitely up with the 10% that do. Especially since this has your utmost attention!

Steve Ozanich had something interesting to say in a 2017 interview (I know arthritis isn't your problem, but this is still relevant):

"I guess the first step is always getting a good physical exam. You want to make sure there’s no malignant process happening there. Make sure your life is not in any danger first. That’s the most important thing to do. But once the doctor clears you of danger, disregard all that other stuff that he tells you about this arthritis or that arthritis.

I’ve seen people with the most amazing arthritis heal from this, and it’s just amazing. Even my left hip that looks like a candle worked over. There’s no hip joint left in it. And yet, the pain disappeared from there because my brain was only using those arthritic changes. It was opportunistic.

And so, what we have here is a spurious correlation. The medical industry has created spurious correlations which mean false correlations between what’s seen on the imaging and the sensations of pain. That was the brilliant discovery of Dr. Sarno, and he’s helped a lot of people."