1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Encouragement from across the pond

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Zumbafan, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

Hi, I wanted to say thank you to all who contribute here, and how learning to relate to myself in a healthy way, really is amazing. I went to the dentist yesterday. I was halfway through the teeth cleaning when suddenly my heart rate shot up and that terrible feeling that my heart might barge through my chest! So now I had some work to do. I was not going down that anxiety route, not going to give into the fear. I realised what I had suppressed, and accepted it, without judgement. I put my hand up to signal to the dentist to stop. Took a few deep breaths, settled on a calm relaxing scene from my childhood, fishing with my grandma, then closed my eyes and signalled to dentist to continue. I kept thinking of that relaxing scene, remembering the brain doesn't know the difference between real and imaginary. Job done. I had chosen to remain calm. In the past I had experienced full blown panic attacks. Not any more. I was so excited to experience the power of my own mind. So to anyone who may be feeling fed up, hang in there. Accept how you feel and let go of judgement. I really hope this post helps someone. :)

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

That's wonderful, Zumbafan. You knew about TMS and put calming thoughts to work for you at the dentist's.
    Deep breathing and imagining yourself fishing with your grandmother when you were a child did the trick.
    Deep breathing and remembering myself on wilderness canoe trips in the Minnesota-Canada northwoods keep me calm.