1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 Emotions

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Ryan79, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Ryan79

Ryan79 Peer Supporter

Are you having success at recognizing the emotions connected to your pain?
    I definitely notice that I have good days and poor days with pain. I think some of the hardest aspects of this journey is not knowing when or if there is ever an end. There are days that I wish I could just stay in bed all day long. Also in about 13 months there has never been a 100% pain free day which can get me down.

I would say fear and loneliness are some of my biggest emotional triggers for hastening my pain levels.

Sometimes I just want to pick up my kids but fear will make me hesitant.

If you have, how do these emotions make you feel?

RESTRICTED. Half alive. Drifting through the waves in the ocean, trapped in the undertow desperately trying to emerge to the surface. Then I rationalize that I've never failed at anything that I've ever sought out to overcome. I won't be defeated.

In the bible, James talked about 'count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience'. This whole process has taught me that eventually there will be a way out of my trapped warped mind and my unconscious undealt with feelings will set me free.

If not, what do you think is preventing you from doing this? Touching the source of pain with the other hand and vice versa. Worrying too much about the physical pains. Wondering if I should trust western medicine with shots of cortisone. I've seen the body heal the eye when stress has presented signs of problems. Bell's palsy, twitchy eyes, vitreous floaters (some people have a lot, but don't notice them). Central Serous Retinopathy.

I need to trust my body that it would have healed any other physical problem by now, and my emotional state is causing my problems.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Ryan. I like a self-hypnosis DVD that tells me I can do anything I set my mind to do.
    That has become one of my favorite mantras.

Your final sentence is great. Keep that in mind and keep working on discovering what those emotional stresses are.

I'm glad you find the Bible helpful. It has helped me a lot. An amazingly helpful book. Remember "Ask and ye shall receive". Ask God's help in healing. He answers and helps.