1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 8 Emotions.even happiness

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by CRICH, Apr 3, 2020.

1. CRICH

CRICH New Member

This is a tough one.. I can feel that any increase in any emotion causes an increase in whatever symptoms are present. Sadness,anger,stress I get but even if I’m happy or excited the symptoms worsen and the tension is obvious. It’s hard to see the correlation when it is all over the place. Fear is my major emotion. I fear my “pain” my body sensations the most..

2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Hello, try not to get to stuck on correlating emotions to symptoms. It's great if you can see the link, but for many people with severe TMS, it can be hard. I think when TMS is "mild" this is easier to do. But as TMS worsens and your symptoms get to point of becoming chronic, they often flare because of unrelated triggers, or seemingly for no reason at all. For example, I used to get digestive issues when I was upset about something. However, the symptoms slowly got worse as my emotional issues continued unresolved. I started noticing certain foods seemed to bother me, but this was just conditioning from correlation. The process continued over years until the point where I was bloated and constipated constantly regardless of what I ate or my level of stress. At that point, all I could do was try to trace my issues back to when they started to see what was going on in my life.

I think I found most of the emotions/issues that contributed to this over the years, but I don't know if I really hit them all. I think it's more realistic to just really dig into things that bother you past and present and explore them all as best as possible. Some may seem linked to your symptoms now or in the past, some may not. But if you deal with everything you dig up, it will help you heal.

Okcowgirl likes this.