1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 Emotions connected to pain

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by douggie, Nov 17, 2016.

1. douggie

douggie Peer Supporter

Are you having success at recognizing the emotions connected to your pain? If you have, how do these emotions make you feel? If not, what do you think is preventing you from doing this?

I don't understand this question. Is it referring to emotions currently held in the moment of pain? If so, I haven't been noticing my emotions during the pain as I still have pain albeit it feels 40% or so less. I guess there is probably still a bunch of "noise" in the background that I need to take care of.

I did just have a good journaling session. I raged on my brother who betrayed and blackmailed me for money. I have so much anger towards home right now. It was so cathartic

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I've never been sure I felt emotions connected to pain. I had severe back pain and could just focus on the pain. Maybe that focus was another word for my emotions. I just know I hurt like hell. I learned about TMS from Dr. Sarno's book, journaled, and discovered I had been repressing anger and insecurity since I was a boy.

I think that journaling about your emotions regarding the family will help you to heal. You sure have reason to be angry at your brother. It could help if you journaled by putting yourself in his shoes. Why do you feel he betrayed and blackmailed you? It might help you to see better where he was coming from... he probably has TMS pain of his own.