1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 8 Emotions connected to my pain

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Samsam, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Samsam

Samsam New Member

Are you having success at recognizing the emotions connected to your pain? If you have, how do these emotions make you feel? If not, what do you think is preventing you from doing this?

Hello I’m stuck on a question...

I’m on day 8 of sep.

The above question are you recognising
    The emotions connected to the pain?

I’m not quite sure haw to do this ?
    Haw do I recognise these emotions ?

Can someone help with haw to do this?

Thank you for your help :)

Sam

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Sam,

The most basic way to work with this question (which occurs to me) is to ascertain "what emotion is associated with increased pain?" Many people find certain situations or repetitive, familiar feelings seem to be associated with an increase in symptoms. For instance waiting in line at the store is commonly noted to increase pain. Then the question might be "what is that I am feeling in line?" This might be where to start, with your own examples.

In the long run, this question may lead you into deeper connections between TMS, and feelings which "don't want to be felt."

It is the inquiry into these questions which is important, perhaps less so the exact answers. You're being encouraged to "think psychologically."

Andy B

Durga likes this.
  3. Picklechick

Picklechick New Member

Hi Sam

I am currently on Day 8 and am beginning to realise what my trigger emotions are, mainly through being aware of my own behaviour. I have discovered that I complain a lot, both vocally and inwardly. This reinforces my lack of gratitude and negatively comparing myself to others. I have had a difficult upbringing, but am working my way through my issues. I don't know if this is helpful, but I thought I'd share.

4. Ghislaine

Ghislaine Newcomer

On Day 8 too. I too struggled as i felt mostly anxiety was driving my symptoms yet what i read is that anger and sadness are mostly behind TMS and that anxiety often is a wrapping for such emotions. The more i drill down on my anxious feelings the more i realize there is sadness, anger, guilt, fear, aloneness, feelings of inadequacy that are beneath. I am now working on what bodily feelings i have when i have anxiety caused by each different emotion.... so far feel like heart rate and coccyx pain increase when anxiety (masking varied emotions) is highest. Hope this helps.