1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Emotionally drained and burnt out

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Richsimm22, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Richsimm22

Richsimm22 Well known member

Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone experienced this during tms therapy and what to do in this situation. For the last few days and particularly today I just feel burnt out and cant even focus on anything never mind trying to journal or meditate. Maybe I just need a bit more sleep but it feels more than that. I feel like my brain and my mind is exhausted. Its as if my mind is overloaded from trying to get my head round all this new information i've been learning over the last couple of months. My brain is saying enough Ive had enough for now. Leave me alone.
    Anyone experienced this before?

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Msunn

Msunn Well known member

Hi Richsimm

I know with my TMS personality it's very easy to try too hard at healing which, I think, is just another way for my mind to obsess.

I try to get away from that by doing relaxing things. I do a lot of hiking or I'll watch a movie, something to break the routine. It's ok to take a break and let my mind process some of this stuff.

I also try to monitor my inner dialogue and have kindness and compassion for myself.

All the best

3. tigerlilly

tigerlilly Well known member

Hi Richsimm -

I relate to and understand what you are experiencing. It's like the brain is on overload - not only are you taking in new information learning about TMS and trying to "undo" everything you have learned your whole life from conventional docs, media, etc. But you are also now exploring and digging in to learn all about yourself in ways you didn't know existed. Oh, and not to mention the distraction and anguish of coping with your physical pain and circumstances. It's exhausting!

I've been doing this since early February and it is the most difficult and most exhausting process I've ever gone through (but totally worth it). I found that taking a temporary mental break now and then is both welcome and necessary. Just short - maybe take a day or two off and relax your mind. Just be careful that your brain/mind isn't trying to use the 'exhaustion' to distract you from focusing on TMS - it can be tricky that way. I found that my TMS mind tries to keep me distracted with playing just one more round of Candy Crush, or shopping online, or responding to emails, or checking the news on my phone. When really I know that I should be pulling out my laptop and going on the forum, journaling, reading my TMS books, etc - but my mind tries to distract me with these other focal points. Just make sure that if you take a mental break that it is for the right reasons - and then just get back to healing after your break!

But even with the mental break, it is important to at least go through Dr. Sarno's 12 steps to becoming pain-free EVERY DAY - just devote a few minutes at the very least to go over and ponder these. Gotta work on sinking this information deep down into the stubborn parts of our brain until it sticks!

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:

1.The pain is due to TMS,not to a structural abnormality

2.The direct reason for the pain is mild oxygen deprivation

3.TMS is a harmless condition caused by my repressed emotions

4.The principal emotion is my repressed ANGER

5.TMS exists only to distract my attentions from the emotions

6.Since my back is basically normal there is nothing to fear

7.Therefore,physical activity is not dangerous

8.And I MUST resume all normal physical activity

9.I will not be concerned or intimidated by the pain

10.I will shift my attention from pain to the emotional issues

11.I intend to be in control-NOT my subconscious mind

12.I must think Psychological at all times,NOT physical.

4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I love Msunns and tigerlillys recommendations. As you know I do a lot of reading and research. I would take about two or three days off and do no reading or studies at all. Just relax and now practice what you have learned. Then in a few days start over with like 30 minutes to an hour learning new things and then spend the rest of your time doing all you have already learned. Make your leanings second nature to you ok. Soon, Soon you will start to really feel a turn around. But just like with any thing else -- in mind work you also need rest.
    Bless you

Msunn and Richsimm22 like this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Eric and the others' advice is like mine. Just take a little vacation from reading and working on TMS.
    Steve Ozanich always says don't even think about the pain, just enjoy each day. Find things that relax you
    and that make you happy. Give your head and emotions some time off for good behavior.

But keep deep-breathing. That's one of the most relaxing things you can do for yourself.

6. Richsimm22

Thanks for the support guys. I was having a particularly bad day when I wrote this and felt the need to reach out and share. I was feeling my belief slipping a little too but i am getting back on track. Ive found a couple of meditation tracks im going to try one tonight called (guided meditation to release anger) before I have an early night. If its any good ill post it on the forum.

7. Richsimm22

Here is the meditation I did tonight. I fell in and out of sleep about half way through so ill do it tomorrow when im not so tired. Is this the kind of meditation I should be doing?

8. UkAdR

UkAdR Peer Supporter

I have had a good few days doing normal things and not really doing any journaling or other TMS things. Only thing I have been doing it reading Steve Ozanich's Pain Deception. Its quite a tough read (as in what Steve went through!) so I've been looking at that as my education the past few days. It has been good to just spend some time playing video games and cooking meals. I have also spent some time with friends as I am an usher at a wedding this Friday.

I definitely think that sometimes you can get mentally tired from thinking about this - especially trying to think positively all the time. Sometimes it helps just to get away from things. I am going to make more of an effort to journal and work through a few more days of the program this week myself though.

I have not even tried meditating yet - I think I would maybe find it quite difficult as being still is sometimes quite painful for me. I guess it depends the position I manage to get in.

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I liked the meditation video and think it is a good one to practice whenever you can.
    It is typical in that it has us practice "mindfulness," which is living in the moment,
    to feel each part of our body relaxing.

I also get mentally tired from thinking about TMS. I only spend about two hours a day on it
    and then distract my mind onto other things and happy thoughts and activities.

Some days, two hours is too much, so you might just take some days off and enjoy life.
    The less we think about pain, the better.

Richsimm22 likes this.
  10. Waterbear

Waterbear Peer Supporter

I hate journaling, always have. One of my "rewards", for a good day is not journaling. I might, fill up one sticky note, but that's it.

When I journal, I generally get very emotional, and that's good but it also hard sometimes.

I figured, if I have barely any pain, then I'm close to cured and a cured me never journaled.

I do, however, challenge myself physically a lot. I hit the gym a few days a week and try to draw/paint on the others. I have knee/elbow tms mostly. Then, I always try to say, "Look! I just lifted x weight. You're not real."

I'm seeing results too, so maybe a ton of journaling isn't for you?

11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Too much journaling can be stressful. I don't journal anymore
    because I think I found all my repressed emotions and that healed me.

Some people don't need to journal at all. If they just believe 100 percent in TMS
    causing pain from repressed emotions or our personality, they heal.

Maybe spend more time relaxing, meditating, "living in the present moment,"
    finding things to enjoy.

Lifting weights and taking time to draw and paint are great distractions.
    An aunt worked crossword puzzles for relaxation.
    I like to watch old movies, especially comedies.
    And I just sit back and enjoy listening to classical music or "easy listening" music.
    I may not even meditate with the music, just close my eyes and let it lull me into relaxation.

12. Richsimm22

Thanks again for all the advice in this thread guys. Ive been feeling much better in myself since I wrote this. Meditation has been helping me although I do always fall asleep 5-10 minutes into it. Ive give the journalling a rest for a bit. I think I was getting a bit anxious if I didn't journal and it was not helping. Im gonna go back to it next week and take it in my stride. Ive got the 12 daily reminders memorised and I have a good think about each one everyday. It keeps me in psycological mode. Thanks guys.