1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 36 Elbow Pain - Help!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by mncjl123, May 12, 2016.

1. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

I have been working hard on the program for all my TMS pain! Three weeks ago, I bumped my elbow hard on the side of a door. I thought - ouch! And, it will get better. It is not better and continues to hurt. it is not broken of course. And, I am certain there is injured tendon as it has been swollen. Doctor said to wear a sling but it puts too much pressure on my neck. I am worried, fearful and starting all over with a new injury and pain. when will it go away? how long to heal? will it ever heal? will it be permanent? why isn't it better already? shots, injections, pain pills - I don't want to even think or go there again!!!! Any advice on how to stop the fear again, and because this is a new injury has tms already grabbed hold of it? my friend said he hurt his elbow by bumping and it took 6 months to feel better! yikes... I cant endure this anymore. I cant do anything with this arm and I feel like anything I do might make it even worse. all the things I go through with tms, fibromyalgia and the whole lot of pains I already am dealing with. Will this be like my foot pain?

2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you're currently experiencing so much pain. Providing you've given your injury ample time to heal (it varies from person to person depending on immune function), but I'd say, with a healthy mind and body, 2 months sounds sensible.

I think when we develop various symptoms ranging in severity and listen to numerous individuals, it causes our fear, anxiety and worry to spiral out of control. The hardest part and most rewarding is to change ones thinking and the association we have with fear etc. I've noticed all of the questions you have posed are coming from a place of uncertainty, doubt and fear, on the plus side...

There are numerous techniques that you could deploy when you are feeling certain sensations within your mind-body.

These include;

1. Self talk, making a gentle enquiry to your inner child with love and compassion and establish why you are feeling the way you are.
    2. Free writing - trying to explore a connection and understand any limiting beliefs that you may hold.
    3. Practice meditation and mindfulness - being more consiously aware of your emotions, the more you do this the less a hold emotions such as anger, fear and worry will have on you. It will also help activate your relaxation response.
    Please visit -
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/how-to-meditate-need-a-tutorial.12482/ (How to meditate - need a tutorial)
    4. Learning to shift your focuse from the body to something neutral, the outdoors, the sunshine etc.
    5. Take up yoga and practice an exercise that embodies movement and breathing. I've found this particularly beneficial for my own journey.
    6. EFT - emotional freedom technique, there are numerous threads on the topic and it's also worth looking into.
    7. Practice outcome independence...
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/how-to-get-rid-of-your-pain-in-7-minutes.11437/#post-64516 (Alan G. - How to get rid of your pain in 7 minutes)

There are countless others methods and you'll really have to explore the Wiki.

You'll find these techniques only give a certain amount of return, so if you are finding they are not benefiting you, try another. Our journies are all quite different and unfortunately, there isn't one modality that suits all.

I hope this short list will provide you with some options that you can build into your regular practice.

All the best and wishing you a healthy mind and body.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  3. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I find that following an injury, my TMS steps in. So now, once I give the injury a reasonable time to heal, I ramp up my talking with my subC. I console myself with the thought that there's no evidence of further injury, so I need to address the emotions and move on!

mike2014 likes this.
  4. Janine28

Janine28 Peer Supporter