1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Eczema?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by talkinghead, Jun 24, 2018.

1. talkinghead

talkinghead New Member

I've been battling terrible eczema for about 9 months now. As someone who has permanently cured severe, chronic back pain using Dr. Sarno's methods, I am certain that this skin issue is a TMS equivalent (or just "TMS," really-- not sure why non-pain ailments have to be labeled "equivalents." It's either TMS, or it's not).

However, I am finding this particular manifestation of TMS incredibly difficult to rid myself of. The back pain I could banish in hours, or even minutes. But with this eczema, I literally have not had clear skin in 9 months. It is an absolute nightmare and I'm finding it difficult not to lose hope.

I would take my back pains at their absolute worst in a heartbeat over living with this inflamed, itchy, bleeding skin.

Has anyone else successfully battled eczema or psoriasis with Dr. Sarno's methods?

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

I also have some eczema (not as severe though), and i've noticed it flares up with stress for sure. I also got rid of back pain with Sarno's methods but haven't really worked on the eczema the same way. Honestly i've had more luck just using the steroid cream for flare ups and taking a general approach of not catastrophizing it and that seems to help a lot. I think it really is ok and helpful to use the medication in this case, it's harmless (unlike opioids or back surgery!) especially in limited doses. It will help you feel more comfortable and get some relief!

3. talkinghead

talkinghead New Member

Thanks for your response. I think the difference between mild eczema (which it sounds like you've experienced) and moderate to severe eczema is pretty vast. A mild over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream for a patch of eczema or psoriasis is probably pretty harmless. However, that is simply not the case for more serious cases. In fact, the ultra-potent topical steroids many people really on for more serious cases of eczema and psoriasis can be quite dangerous and damaging to the body. Topical-steroid withdrawal (which I've fortunately never experienced) is a serious condition that can cause suffering as bad as any pain and be permanently damaging to the skin.

Thus, I think addressing skin disorders such as eczema and psoriasis as very serious manifestations of TMS is important. These are in no way benign conditions.

It is very important for people suffering through these conditions to have support and persist in using Dr. Sarno's methods to overcome their conditions rather than relying on dangerous drugs.

RP24 likes this.
  4. RP24

RP24 Newcomer

How are you doing? I know this is an old thread, but were you able to heal your eczema with the TMS approach?

5. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

I had my bout with an unexplained rash all over my body during my TMS journey. I am pretty sure it was TMS-related.

However, we also need to consider other factors. For example, the effect of diet on our skin. I know if I eat a lot of nuts, I tend to get pimples. The liver plays an important role in skin health as well.