1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Zafirides Early Stress May Sensitize Infant Brain For Later Anxiety

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Peter Zafirides, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Peter Zafirides

Peter Zafirides Physician

Hi Everyone,

I thought this study was worthwhile for the forum. It is a study that looked at the impact of early family stress on daughters' anxiety later in childhood and adulthood.

http://www.thehealthymind.com/2012/11/11/family-stress-may-sensitize-infant-girls-brains-for-later-anxiety/

We are only beginning to understand the impact of these Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) as it relates to both our emotional and physical health.

I hope you find the information worthwhile.

Kindly,
    Dr. Z

2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Dr Z - Thanks for posting! I can certainly see how ACE might predispose someone to develop TMS later on in life, especially when confronted with major life changing events like death, divorce or loss of income. But what explains the difference between girls who experienced ACE and then developed anxiety later on and boys who, though they were exposed to family stress, didn't develop anxiety symptoms? What insulated the boys from the bad emotional aftereffects of stress in their families?

3. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

Yes. It is interesting that boys didn't display the same reactions. Maybe it's because of good old testosterone :)

4. Peter Zafirides

They didn't speculate, but I would imagine it is likely hormonal - testosterone or estrogen.

5. BruceMC

T-therapy for psychological toughness?! Gets you ready to live in the post-modern age of anxiety.

6. Peter Zafirides

I prefer M-Therapy better.... Meditation

Similar results without the extra facial hair!!!

:) :) :)

Enrique likes this.
  7. BruceMC