1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Dr's or Experienced TMSers: Does TMS (temporarily) change muscle?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Freedom, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Freedom

Freedom Peer Supporter

In the literature they say to keep up with physical activity.

I'm wondering if TMS actually tightens muscles in cases (aka wouldn't it be dangerous to lift heavy items when your muscles are tensed, aren't you more likely to injure yourself) ?

2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

not a doctor...
    Yes, it does tighten muscles. My explanation is triggerpoints, which is a perfect example of oxygen deprivation in tissue. Using the muscle will give pain which disables you to keep up physical activity as you would like to. Of course you are more likely to hurt yourself when muscles are tense and not functioning (temporarily) like they should, pain is meant to protect you from that. If I loose control of my knee, I am more prone to twist it for example. Tearing a muscle with a triggerpoint in it is pretty difficult, because the pain will probably stop you beforehand. Keeping up with physical activity in my mind should not be read as pushing through despite terrible pain and lack of control. Not doing any physical activity at all isn't the way to go either. You need to find a level of activity that is doable and that helps you to break the idea that you are suffering from something structural. Seeing the discomfort as a symptom of the mind instead of getting scared or angry about the symptom is the way to go.

skhs, SebastianM and Lunarlass66 like this.
  3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Dr. Sarno says, "If it's too heavy to lift, you couldn't lift it."

What's your experience been with lifting things since you posted this?

4. Freedom

Freedom Peer Supporter

In a more general sense, not worrying about it so much helps I suppose. Hard for me to say as I don't know the answer to this still. I have tried to slowly get back into working out. Using resistance band, and incorporating light weights(that I feel mentally comfortable with). I made a post yesterday about pulling a muscle (not actually during lifting) so I really don't know what to say about this.

5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

"Perhaps the most important (but most difficult) thing patients must do is to resume all physical activity, including the most vigorous." "HEALING BACK PAIN" pg. 79.

6. Freedom

Freedom Peer Supporter

Are you implying with that quote I should have been pushing it harder?

7. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Here's what i'll say about this: think of the mindbody as one entity, not separate. Yes TMS can give muscles trigger points, make them spasm, tight etc. The brain is fully capable of producing tissue changes. This is all reversible, of course. But if you're in spasm and having very tight muscles from TMS you might be at increased risk of MINOR injury.

Sarno is in favor of doing as vigorous exercise as possible, and I fully agree. But if you're still having a lot of TMS pain and spasm it's best to wait for the pain to decrease before going full out in the gym. Ramp up gradually.

8. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

This question is part of Dr. Sarno's great observation in his patients of "physicophobia." The fear of movement or exercise is the brain's way of TMSing in that it serves as a better distractionary force than the actual movement itself. Worrying about movement is a stronger form of TMSing.

The suggestion of ramping up gradually is great advice from mindbodypt. Confidence heals! Begin when you are ready, and don't look back.

MWsunin12 likes this.
  9. SebastianM

SebastianM Peer Supporter

I agree with MindBodyPT. The brain is very strong and is able to spasm your muscles when you are stressed or worrying or being anxious concering being more active.

When I do an activity that I fear, I remind myself that an increase of pain could be the result. I confront myself radically with this fear and the emotions behind it. Only the thinking about these activites effect an increase of tension in some parts of my body. I deal with the fear and remind myself that the pain is not dangerous. Thus I am able to enjoy these activities because I trust in my body and the diagnosis. And afterwards I allow the pain (if it really increases) to be there and am proud of myself and look forward to other activities. Sometimes the tension is completely removed after these activities. That's the evidence that most tension is produced by the brain itself when you think fearfully about being active.

I have to say that this way is not easy. There are better and worse days/situations. It's again and again a little mindbattle. BUT: I am convinced that moving on and being active will "reprogram" my brain and convince my body and my subconscious of being able to do EVERYTHING I love to do :).

Greetings
    Sebastian