1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dreams and TMS fears...

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by E. Lynn, Feb 14, 2015.

1. E. Lynn

E. Lynn Peer Supporter

This is just a total fluff question, but who else here has vivid dreams about things relative to their TMS?
    Last night, I had the same dream for about the 100th time. As a child and teen, I had to move at least every two years, and quite often more than that. I did not like it, and it made school really hard. It was a definite contributer to some of my TMS symptoms, such as stomach aches as a child.
    Now, as an adult, I have the same dream over and over. In my dream, I have to move to a new house and am not too happy about it. The house is always FULL of junk the previous owner left behind. (Never once did I move into a new house full of junk in real life, though I did once tour one while looking for a house to buy many years ago.) In my dream, I'm always a little excited to look through the kitchen cabinets or some other cabinets hoping there's something cool inside that I'll like. The funny thing is, I never make it to the part where I get to look through the cabinets. Sometimes, the house in my dream is just a regular sized house, but other times it is HUGE but it's always really old. I know I do have some mild fear about having to move again, but it's weird to have the same dream over and over.
    E. Lynn

2. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

had horrendous dreams about a small child trying to strangle me few years ago that continued until I began unravelling a lot of stuff . Carl Jung is the absolute go to for dream interpretation, they do have significant meaning. A window into the unconscious mind. A few months post Sarno I had a vivid dream about a tidal wave hitting a hotel on the coast. i just managed to escape.
    The significance of this was the tide of emotions I was trying to escape. this represents progress to me and confirmation of the TMS hypothesis of repressed emotion. it can also represent significant change.

http://thedreamwell.com/2008/10/24/meaning-of-tidal-wave-in-a-dream/

E. Lynn likes this.
  3. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

I seem to have dreams about stuff that I know is in the back of my mind. Never the stuff in front, but when i remember the dream, I can def relat them to stuff I have subconscious concerns about.

E. Lynn likes this.
  4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Sounds like you want to get a fresh start, but "previous owner" (child you?) has left all this "junk" (unwanted memories, repressed emotions?). Time to clear out the junk so you can get to the good stuff in those cabinets. It's a hopeful dream. You will get there. And let us know when you do....

lexylucy and E. Lynn like this.
  5. E. Lynn

E. Lynn Peer Supporter

That's an interesting, thoughtful interpretation, Ellen. Some of my dreams, and I have a lot of them, are easy to understand but others are so wacky, like one being chased through a wheat field by a fire monster shooting flaming arrows, are so goofy I just chalk it up to imagination. It is cool though, when you have a dream that makes sense and helps you understand what is bothering your subconscious like Irishsceptic and mdh157 mentioned.

6. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

After moving from my previous home in 1996 I had dreams for years about having to move back there. It wasn't so much the home I detested in real life - it was the town. There was nothing particularly bad about this town as compared with many others. I had just blamed any and all that was bad on the fact I was living in this particular place. I really did not want to go back there and don't to this day. But hey who's asking or insisting that I do? I guess I just didn't want to deal with past events and all that came with them like depression and shame. I initially thought I could lock all that up when I turned the key in the door for that final time but my dreams reminded me that this was an impossibility.

E. Lynn likes this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

E Lynn an y44, my folks moved us three kids almost every year to another apartment because they were evicted after
    falling behind in the rent. It left me with a very disconnected boyhood and I had to make new friends fast.
    Over the years I've had dreams about needing to find a new place to live. It all adds up to a lifelong insecurity,
    partly from all the moving and also from my parents divorcing when I was 7. Mom married a stranger who had a house,
    then divorced him a year later and remarried my birth father. He died ten years later and she married one of his brothers
    who was a very unhappy man and spread it to everyone around him. So I had four fathers. Insecure? You bet!
    But believing it caused my back pain, journaling about it, healed me.

E. Lynn likes this.
  8. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes. I wish I would have some dreams that make sense. I seldom remember having any, and when I do it is usually just fragments. But I'm having a problem with sleep maintenance insomnia. Hopefully, when I sleep better, I'll have more dreams that make sense.

E. Lynn likes this.
  9. E. Lynn

E. Lynn Peer Supporter

Yb44, I had a town like that. Not only did we have to live there the longest, we had to keep coming back to it for several years because our house wouldn't sell and my parents turned it into a rent house. The renters would trash it and we would have to go back to that town about every six months and re-paint and fix it up. I was so happy when it finally sold and I haven't been back to that town since. Ironically, the town I loved the most I haven't got to see since. Life is unfunny like that :)

Walt, I read more of your story on another post somewhere on here. The life you led as a kid makes mine seem easy. I'm glad you have had some healing from that. My parents aren't divorced, but there has been a lot of divorce in with my family members and husband's family. It's rough.

Ellen, most of the people I know seem to be more like you and don't remember their dreams very often, even when they do get good sleep. I hope your sleep improves. I've been having trouble with mine too and it's so frustrating.

10. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

oooh !! I hope you get to look inside the cabinets and find something cool!! Have you ever had a Lucid dream? It's where you realize that you are dreaming - sometimes you can get so excited that you start flying and wake up right away. But if you remain calm .. you can control it and have fantastic experiences.

You can also do some meditation/vision work and see yourself there...