1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Dreams and repressed memories

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by scrat26, Jul 24, 2016.

1. scrat26

scrat26 New Member

Just wondering if anyone has had any success with remembering memories or emotions with dreams or programming dreams? I've read a little on it and wonderered if it was worth doing. I've never recorded my dreams before, sometimes I'll remember them only in the morning, sometimes it'll come to me later in the day. And a lot of the time I just don't remember at all. I'm on day 11 of sep and my journalling for a past event, was basically non existent. I do have a few memories of around that time but the actual event, nothing! So how am I meant to be able to feel that repressed memory. Does that make sense?

2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

It makes complete sense, however it is enough to be watchful, mindful and aware of the feelings and memories associated with the event, no matter how vague and amorphous they may be. To recall hard facts and an exact emotional cascade is less important. TMS healing is essentially about learning to feel and recognise emotions, and to then have the courage to honour what they are telling us. It's about looking at where and how and why we privilege social niceties and being good, sweet people over asserting boundaries, or being authentic. To this end dreams and journaling are powerful ways of observing and connecting with aspects of ourselves that we have stuffed down. We are learning to dance with our shadow selves and dreams are a mighty way of romantically embracing the mystery and the music of our souls.

Dream work has such a long and rich heritage and is definitely worth the wonder. Treat them playfully, lightly and over time they will yield their secrets but don't expect biblical revelations. While they can and do happen, most of us have to content ourselves with more mundane mystical experiences.

Plum x

3. scrat26

scrat26 New Member

Thank you for your reply. I did wonder myself after posting that if I was just pushing a little too much, wanting something that wasn't ready to be revealed yet. It is early days. It wasn't until I sat down to journal about this past event that I realised I can't remember much at all, so you saying about the hard facts and exact emotions rang true. I was 9 at the time and prior to this event there was a major change in my life. I will continue to work on what is already there in front of me and journal and meditate. Dreams are certainly a mystery, there's been times I have woken up suddenly and felt frightened or very sad, but don't recall the dream. I wasn't expecting an epiphany by remembering dreams but I might start a dream book, as just a record, as I wouldn't know where to start with regards to making sense of the meanings anyway. I've learnt quite a lot about my self this last few weeks anyway so at least I'm taking steps forward. I just have to remember they don't have to be big steps as long as its forward.
    Thank you for your time and insight Plum. X

plum likes this.