1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dreaming about telling my brain it's tms

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by MicheleRenee, Jul 9, 2017.

1. MicheleRenee

MicheleRenee Peer Supporter

Hi there

so I've been struggling with my TMS pelvic pain symptom for 7 months. i was doing really well at the beginning but relapsed and have been in fear/pain since that ive been having suicidal tendencies because the fear is so overwhelming. Anyway, last night i had a dream where i was driving and i kept yelling at my brain that i KNOW this is TMS and you need to GO away! i found this really weird.. isn't our dream world our subconscious? Does this mean that my brain "gets it" and that i really just need to woman up and get rid of the fear somehow. I'm trying not to overanalyze but i felt that this was really interesting (I could actually feel the pain increase and decrease in my dream as I was talking to my brain). If anyone has dream input ideas? I wonder if this is a tool for me to help get over my fear... i seem to be able to influence my dreams.

2. Un0wut2du

Un0wut2du Peer Supporter

Dreams are thought my some to be a subconscious release of anxiety. One of the many reasons LOTS of sleep is so important. If I only sleep five hours, I dont dream. That's not good. Sounds to me like you are obsessing a bit on the pain so its running around up there. Makes total sense you dreamt of it. It all sounds connected to me as you are likely still focused on the body and the physical.

As a man I cannot comment on female pelvic pain but I do have sometimes severe pelvic pain of my own that has gotten better with the hard work that TMS takes. I think the pelvic stuff is a bit rare but coincidentally I've responded today to another man with pelvic pain from a recent post. What I do know is that my TMS doc told me that mine was for sure TMS and that the pelvic/groin pain is one of the longer ones to solve. But that still gives me hope. I've had all the tests, scans, exams over decades from MD's and urologists. There is just nothing physically wrong.

What I really wanted to respond to was you "yelling" at your brain. I do this as well when I 'catch' TMS in the act. But I had a suggestion from someone on this board to have compassion for the pain. Treat it with kindness. My default was to say "F you TMS...I know what you are mother-effer." And that was effective to a point but I now believe, that the person smarter than me who suggested compassion and kindness was more on point. Maybe try that angle? Its a long haul. Keep doing the work. And dreams are just dreams, we dont get to control that so just let them happen! Witness and dont judge, rather then participate in the pain or that dream was what I learned with self-compassion work.

3. MicheleRenee

MicheleRenee Peer Supporter

yes definitely obsessing. i often wonder if i didnt have this lain what would i be obsessing aboit? probavly work still. which is probably one of thr biggest reasons im in this tms issue along w many family issues. hard not to obsess with pelvic pain as its directly linked to your sense of self.

4. Un0wut2du

Un0wut2du Peer Supporter

Right. Core of the body and soul (self). Totally agree. But I keep trying.