1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Weil Demonstrates 4-7-8 Breathing Technique

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ellen, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

2. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Ellen, thanks for posting that clip! It's awesome to hear it from the doc himself. I first learned of that breathing technique several years ago and practice it regularly. I remember the first several times I tried, I would hyperventilate - I was that keyed up.

Ellen likes this.
  3. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Ellen, great post, I remember learning of this technique from a CD I had of his, but unfortunately I misplaced it.

Ellen likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I totally agree with Dr. Weill about the benefits of deep breathing.
    I just wish he and others made up their minds about how long to inhale, hold, and exhale.
    I've been doing it 3-3-6, but will try Weill's 4-7-8. However it is done, it works!

Every book, article, or video I see about good mental health it says deep breathing is maybe the most important.

I like watching YouTube videos on relaxation. They all demonstrate deep breathing.

Forest, North Star and Ellen like this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Also, about deep breathing.
    I spend several hours a day working for a book publisher online
    and get so involved in my writing, or stressed from it, that I forget to do deep breathing.
    My normal shallow breathing makes me anxious. I then stop and focus on deep breathing to relax.

I think many people forget deep breathing while they work. We have to remember to do both at the same time.
    Do our work but breathe deeply while we do it.

6. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I've performed the 4-7-9 breath technique since I first read about it in Dr Weil's books. Really, really works. I've integrated it with Howard Schubiner's Mindfulness meditation audio files, the ones included with his book, Unlearn Your Pain. I'm sure there are all kinds of other ways of combining Weil's 4-7-8 breathing mantra with other activities as well. Really, really useful for calming down.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    Forest and North Star like this.
  7. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Walt, I heard some where before that it doesn't matter how long is your in and out breath as long as the out breath is twice as long as the in breath with the a little hold in between. The reason is because the in breath increase our heart rate a little and the out breath decrease it a little. With a deep and longer out breath we're help slowing down our heart rate and calm ourselves. The few seconds of hold is to help the levels of CO2 in our blood. Because too low CO2 causes the pH of our blood to change, which can effect the function of our enzymes, organs, and muscles. Also, low CO2 levels cause psychological effects, such as increased feelings of anxiety and fear. Remember doctor used to advise us to breath in a brown paper bag when we have a panic attack? It is to increase the CO2 level I guess. Fast and nervous breathing get rid of CO2 too fast for our own good.

Renee, Ellen and Forest like this.
  8. Kathi

Kathi Peer Supporter

This is wonderful! Thanks, Ellen and all who commented. I NEED this!

9. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

Hi Ellen! Has this helped you with your sleep?

10. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm falling asleep easier since I started doing it. I still wake up frequently during the night, but if I don't fall back asleep right away, I use this breathing technique and it helps me get back to sleep.

I also use it during the day if I feel sort of jittery, and it seems to help me calm down.

I've only been using it since I posted the video, so it is still early. I think the effects are cumulative over time.

It's so quick and easy to use, I think I'll keep using it on a regular basis. How about you?

11. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

Hi Ellen!! Sorry I never responded to this!! I don't have much trouble sleeping these days :) My issues come up in the morning. I dream very heavily and richly so when I wake up sometimes it's like BOOM and I get hit - usually with a pain - but this morning I got hit with an emotion. I remembered -I'm not talking to my boyfriend right now - but then this morning I was able to allow myself to walk into the feelings ...and I was ok ...maybe I will try this breathing technique in the morning. :)