1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Schubiner on Guilt !

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by RikR, Mar 14, 2013.

1. RikR

RikR Well known member

I was just reading on Dr. Schubiner’s forum that guilt is major factor in TMS. I find this interesting as I have a colleague that is riddled with pain and also has behaviors he has to suppress guilt – while he is not having an affair he is messing around with women.

Please correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it when he has a guilty feeling (he must) he either has to honor it and stop the behavior or bury it so he can continue the behavior?

I also see this in friends with addictions, they know smoking or excessive shopping is bad but they have to suppress some awareness that it is not right and I would guess this would also be guilt.

Anyone else have any experience with this...thoughts ?

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Guilt is a major part of why we all develop TMS. As SteveO wrote: "When our truest desires rise in conflict with our public persona, rage begins to build as superego applies more and more guilt energy in order to allow the ego to maintain an image that the self knows is not really true or even wanted. Whatever is unwanted and repressed always surfaces in the form of anxiety - as symptoms, that then surface to keep the individual from becoming aware he possesses a dark side, which is filled with socially unacceptable thoughts."

The feeling of guilt is a product of our Superego, which seeks to silence the id. Some people may feel guilty over having an affair or spending too much money, but others, especially TMSers, feel guilty for being angry at their spouse or children. Guilt is the reason we repress our emotions.

3. RikR

RikR Well known member

Forest - do you know what page that is on - I want to mark it.

The superego is the parent and the id the child - perhaps some of the guilt is not authentic.

Am I understaning correctly that living in a false self creates TMS

4. RikR

RikR Well known member

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

It is on page 32 of the Great Pain Deception. Authentic is a hard term for me to grasp in this case. Our Superego is developed by our parents, family, friends, and society, and the emotions that come from it, including guilt, are no less genuine then the emotions from id, such as anger and rage. It is the tension between the Superego and Id that create the symptoms. Both are equally valid, it is just that the Superego usually wins, hence why Sarno tells people they need to realize they have anger and rage.