1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dr sarno and herniated disc

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by cammb33, Oct 21, 2021.

1. cammb33

cammb33 New Member

I have a herniated disc confirmed through mri. What is dr sarnos stance in this. Is the disc causing my pain or something else?

2. Northwood

Northwood Well known member

In Healing Back Pain, Sarno writes "...herniated disc material is rarely responsible for pain or any other neurological symptom"(p. 101) And: "My conclusion that most disc herniations are harmless is based on seventeen years of treating such patients with a high degree of success, leading to the impression that the extruded material is not hurting anything; it's just there (p. 101) He writes more about this in The Mindbody Prescription. Just check the book's index for relevant passages. Years later, these early finding are backed by other big names engaged in the science around TMS, Howard Schubiner, for example.

3. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

4. hawaii_five0

hawaii_five0 Well known member

Dr Schubiner has a great series of videos, see #6 "All MRIs are Abnormal":

See the chart at about 4:00 in that video, which is from a study of MRIs of 3,000 some people with NO back pain. At age 50, 60% of them have disk bulges, 36% have disk protrusions, 80% have disk degeneration, etc. These are all people without any back pain. I.e. having something "abnormal" with your back is completely normal, particularly once you get above about age 30.