1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dr Hanscoms book and surgery

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by whofeelslove, Mar 19, 2015.

1. whofeelslove

whofeelslove Peer Supporter

Hi folks
    Having read many of the TMS books I was excited to read an orthopedic surgeons TMS view point so I purchased Dr Hanscoms book with new found vigor and started reading it(back in control). It started out good until it came to the section on talking to your doctor and formulating a plan to discuss wether they can say the pain source is structural or tissue related. This now has me confused as with TMS you have to accept it 100% and what surgeon is going to say that the pain is not structural unless they are fully versed in TMS and agree with it. This goes contrary to what Dr Sarno said and also a lot of the book pushes using medications for sleep,pain,depression etc etc and formulating a plan for your physical therapist? I was excited about this book and now feel it's not for me at all! Any feed back from people who have read the book?
    Thanx ian

2. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

I haven't read Dr Hanscoms book, but I do know his focus is on the surgical treatment of complex spinal deformities.
    He also developed a 5 step recovery program which enables many patients to avoid surgery.