1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dr Hanscom

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Marinedad, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Marinedad

Marinedad Well known member

i would somebody opionion on dr Hanscom methods and how he approaches Tms

2. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

Dr Hanscom is a big believer in the power of journaling - writing about your thoughts and feelings and then he recommends destroying what you've written straight afterwards without reading what you've written...Here's a webpage about his writing technique http://www.backincontrol.com/write-and-dont-stop/ (Write and Don't Stop!). I'm only just knuckling down to doing some journaling so I can't offer much of an opinion on this technique other than to say that I seem to feel better if I do destroy what I've written without reading it, compared to when I have gone back over what I've written. The mental relief seems to come with the splurging out of the thoughts and emotions rather than with reading them and thus 're-hashing' them in my brain.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Lainey and westb like this.
  3. Marinedad

Thx you so much for your thoughts on this

George0213, Sofa and BloodMoon like this.
  4. Free of Fear

Free of Fear Well known member

I agree with BloodMoon, it feels important to me to tear up whatever I write. I fill up one 8x11 page a day, writing really fast, totally messy, just getting down every fear-driven idea that's floating through my mind, like "I'm never getting better," "I'm become disabled," "my life is over", etc. Tearing it up afterwards feels like a ritual now. 10 minutes of crazy thoughts, then destroy it, and then on with my day.

I think too, read through all of these different methods, then experiment and figure out what works for YOU. Everyone who heals has put together their own program - that's what's so tough about it, but also part of the thrill. And this forum, all the videos, all the books, etc., they're just a tool shed where you get all the pieces to make what works for you, Marinedad.

Good luck!

Sofa and BloodMoon like this.
  5. Marinedad

Thx you for advice

6. westb

westb Well known member

I write in pencil every day, get it all out on paper, negative and positive, then burn it outside in the back garden. Very ritualistic but I like that and find it cathartic. At one time I did keep what I had written and it was indeed depressing. The writing and burning is a way of release for me.

Sofa and BloodMoon like this.
  7. Marinedad

Great idea

8. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

I just started his book, and I'm learning about how my thinking is still affecting my system. I have the book from the library, but I think it worth buying!

Lizzy

9. Sonic

Sonic Peer Supporter

Have not read the book although familiar with blogs that get posted on here from him and his website has lots of information.

Forgiveness is a very important part of healing in his opinion and it has to happen at a deeper level. How you get there is your own mission. Prayers, meditations and visualisations or whatever else.

I quite like Jack Kornfields forgiveness meditation. You can download it free if you search the internet. I got mine on the insight meditation app which is free also and searched for it on there.

BloodMoon likes this.
  10. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

There can be no healing without heartfelt forgiveness, aka an act of divinity, aka Truth, aka light, aka awareness.

Dr. Hanscom seems to be turning slowly toward that understanding since nothing can stop light from spreading. When we are ready it is waiting. Verse 71 of the Tao, "the sage is no longer sick because the sage is sick of sickness."

I once threw Dr. Sarno's book across my family room, I wasn't ready....... and.... now daily I teach his work around the world. When the time is ready Truth is always waiting. I don't have much time these days because the TMS message is working so well and so rapidly around the globe. But when I get a free moment I try to see what others are doing with this revolutionary body of work that the great doctor shared with our world. Early on Dr. Hanscom had "healed" (parenthesis because it seems he still hasn't healed from his own words). However, he quickly wrote a book called Back In Control which was ostensibly complementary to Dr. Sarno's work. ?

I saw Dr. Hanscom state that "there is no healing without journaling," ....this is not true. I never journaled, I worked for 10 years with people in dozens of countries doing this work before I met someone that journaling had helped. I'm not saying it doesn't have a place of great importance, it can, I'm saying it is not always needed. I've met thousands, have communicated with tens of thousands, and worked with hundreds who never had to journal to heal. So why would he say that? He also stated that "(it) is a neurological disorder"....it is not. Dr. Sarno often rolled his eyes at that notion but was too much of a gentleman to repudiate it openly. For certainty, it is not a neurological disorder. Dr. Hanscom also stated that "scar tissue makes it more difficult to heal" ...it does not. People heal daily regardless of surgery or scar tissue, and the TMS docs see this very same thing. Dr. Hanscom also stated that "the pain always returns"...it does not. It has not in me, and I know hundreds that have not had their pain return, I'm not saying it will not return or cannot return, it may and sometimes does return, but to say that "it will always return" is a tragic misunderstanding of the great doctor's work.

I don't write these things to criticize Dr. Hanscom, on the contrary, we need his voice. I believe he is continuously seeing deeper as we all are. I've seen him saying that journaling has its problems (regarding obsession) which is insightfully true. He has also recently stated that "it has been well documented that arthritis, bulging discs, herniated discs, degenerated discs actually don't cause pain, they are not a source of pain." Finally!....he did not say that early on and was somewhat ambiguous, which Dr. Sarno never was. I believe Dr. Hanscom learned from the wrong people and was misdirected from the beginning. Pain does not come from the body beyond self-defense. We need Dr. Hanscom, but it must be clearly stated that just because he has an "MD" after his name does not mean he's correct, but unfortunately society sees it differently. Never, ever listen to a doctor, even a "mindbody" doctor who tells you that you cannot heal.

Each of us grows spiritually from day to day as light enters us. I have an ever growing list from people who were told by usurpers of Dr. Sarno's work, "TMS docs" who have re-labeled his work as their own work and have claimed to have improved upon it who were told that they needed "immediate surgery," by those usurpers.... but they did not. They all healed after more deeply understanding the great doctor's work. The original work is based on deeper understanding, love, and relationship, this will never be improved upon. Understanding how the brain works takes us backwards into the biological realm once again, as the suffering starts all over.

Intellect vs. Love, and Love has always been and will always be the answer...not science.

Every day that I do this work I get criticized by people who have never helped a single person, and yet every day I work with people who heal. But they were ready to heal and wanted to heal, which very few do. Most want to be "in healing" and never healed for fear of the consequences. Truth comes with great sacrifice and that sacrifice is the death of all that we think we know.... as the self empties.

To all who truly want to heal it is already here, to those who seek healing every day it will never come.

Peace

Steve

11. BloodMoon

I read an earlier edition of Dr Hanscom's book a few years ago, but found some of the content off-putting. First - although Dr H does say he wasn't cured there - his own recovery seems to have relied heavily upon his experience of taking a residential course at the Hoffman Institute...As I wouldn't be going to the Hoffman Institute myself (I couldn't afford to) it - rightly or wrongly - made me think that a piece of the puzzle towards my own recovery would be missing. The other off-putting thing for me personally is that he recommends the book 'Feeling Good: the new mood therapy' by David Burns to his patients, which promotes CBT methodology...I've had CBT and it was of no help to me whatsoever, albeit I do concede that it might help others (even though what a 'leading' psychologist says about CBT in this article agrees with my unsatisfactory experience of it http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2828509/CBT-scam-waste-money-Popular-talking-therapy-not-long-term-solution-says-leading-psychologist.html ('CBT is a scam and a waste of money', says leading psychologist | Daily Mail Online)).

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  12. miquelb3

miquelb3 Well known member

I agree with Steve !

It seems to me what dr. David Hanscom is endeavouring a fascinating trip from the conventional/successful surgeon to an enlightened, smart and compasive doctor.
    And that trip is not yet over !!!
    In my humble opinion chronic pain (and related symptoms) is the final result of a devastating "cold civil war" inside us; a fatal combination of self-cheating, self-loathing and self-deprecation; a cruel fight of our self-imposed "shoulds" with our excuses and pretexts, of what we are against what we like (and "should") to be. Only truth and self-sincerity are the real solution.

Peace and love !

Lainey likes this.
  13. BloodMoon

So, do I gather correctly that the key to healing is to find out/recognise 'what we are'? If so, could I ask what, in your experience, have you found are the best way(s) of doing that?

What consequences are they fearing? Is it that those people are in a kind of 'catch 22' situation? - That is, they need to change things in their lives to heal, but fear the possible 'hardship', e.g. financially and/or emotionally, of doing so.

14. Sita

Sita Well known member

Dr. Hanscom's book was the one that helped me the most. I'm talking about the last edition of "Back in Control". Most of the time I'm pain free now, sometimes my back is just a little tense and when I'm more stressed I do feel some mild pain but it's manageable. Other than that...I don't have any problems, I work out, power walk, go to the gym etc.

He has a very clear and compassionate way of writing and doesn't put extra words into his book. This is something that I truly appreciate. He also has a lot of free and very helpful information on his website. I think you'll appreciate reading the articles there. He also has short videos, a few minutes each. Because of his advise from the book I lift weights again. This is something that I did in the past and always liked, actually it's my favorite type of exercise.

Expressive writing (journaling) is very effective, at least for me. In the beginning I concentrated on the negative more but in time I just got sick of it and now I write about gratitude and positive things.

In my opinion his suggestion to read "Feeling Good" was great. I find the book very deep and helpful. It has wonderful techniques that one can apply in one's life. I've been also going to therapy for a couple of months (twice a month) and now I also use "Feeling Good" to discuss particular points during the therapy. I concentrate on the positive during the sessions and never on the negative (as I did in the past, a few years ago).

I found that working on building a solid foundation (mentally) is key to feeling good and being pain free.

plum likes this.
  15. BloodMoon

Out of interest, does he write about his time at the Hoffman Institute - and how important it was to his recovery - in the latest edition of 'Back in Control', like did in the earlier edition of his book that I read?

16. Sita

Sita Well known member

I only have the second edition of the book. He mentions about Hoffman Institute and the great benefits for him, this is true. He spend 8 days there. He also wrote that... and I'm quoting from the book now: " This book would never have been written without the Hoffman Process workshop I attended in 2009." He has one page about Hoffman Institute in the book, the chapter is "Expanding Your Horizon" and he talks about 5 big subjects in this chapter:
    - Nurturing gratitude;
    - Reading history;
    - Exploring a spiritual path;
    - Active self-discovery - and here is mentioned Hoffman Process (and he says that this is not for everyone) and then other points that he talks about here are: Psychotherapy, Self-help books, Structured Seminars, Sitting quietly.
    - Connecting with others.

17. BloodMoon

Thank you very much for looking that up for me, @Sita.

I've just flicked through my earlier edition and by comparison there seems to be much more about the Hoffman Process in it - it's scattered throughout the book and in a chapter called 'Homework'. I was contemplating buying the most recent copy of the book but, as the earlier edition seems to have more about the Hoffman Process, I think I'll re-read it (after I've got after I finish reading Steve Ozanich's book).

As you will have gathered, I'm going to look into the Hoffman Process a bit more as I see they now do it in my country. Interesting that he says that it's not for everyone, but maybe it'll 'hit the spot' for me...could be worth my trying it, I guess.

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  18. eightball776

eightball776 Well known member

FWIW I'm having a terrible time with the expressive writing. I went out and got all of the books Dr. Hanscom recommends & finished his, but here's where I struggle. Throughout the day, I am able to identify all of the offending thoughts that I have no doubt make up the foundation of what feeds my TMS. However when these thoughts show up, I usually can't just document them on the spot. Scattered notes in my phone or scraps of paper doesn't work. Then it feels like if I try to remember to do it later in the day, all I've accomplished is adding another 'to-do' item to my list that I might worry about forgetting, and guarantee that this negative thought will rattle around in my brain longer than it otherwise might have. I am very well aware of these thoughts and the role they play. I am trying to get in to see a clinical neuropsychologist with the hopes of exploring the relationship between these patterns & my nervous system. I know that these thoughts cause back pain. Yet the expressive writing - I'm just repeatedly failing at adding this to my daily routine.

Anyone have any variation on this exercise that's worked for you?

19. Free of Fear

Free of Fear Well known member

Have you tried doing 10 minutes in the morning before your day gets going? ( my understanding is that you don't have to do it throughout the entire day, that would be overkill, and not much different than being hyper-vigilant about your symptoms. Recognize the thoughts and really feel them intensely, and then let them go. I tear mine up into the recycling bin).

Sometimes I say it out loud into my phone, using voice to text, while I am out and about.

If it's stressing you out so much, another option is to not do it. The point is to find a routine way of spotting the emotional and psychological factors before they have a chance to rev up your nervous system. Find another way that suits you.

Some people on this site don't journal and have recovered completely.

Lainey and JanAtheCPA like this.
  20. BloodMoon

All excellent advice from @Free of Fear imo.

If you do decide to journal in the mornings you could perhaps consider trying 'stream of consciousness' journaling where you just write down and splurge out anything that comes into your head with no editing and not bothering about spelling, punctuation or necessarily forming proper sentences either...this would negate any need to note down your negative thoughts throughout the day https://medium.com/@gauravonomics/handwrite-a-stream-of-consciousness-morning-journal-every-day-dda022ef254e (Handwrite a Stream of Consciousness Morning Journal Every Day).

You could also consider doing 'stream of consciousness' journaling using the cluster/'spider writing' technique instead, which I think might be a less time consuming way of journaling; here's a webpage that details various journaling techniques to include about cluster/'spider writing' http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/How_do_I_journal%3F#Free_or_Fast_Writing (How do I journal?). This forum thread is also about journaling techniques and so may be of some help and interest to you http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/what-style-of-journaling-has-taught-you-the-most-about-yourself.107/#post-101856 (What style of journaling has taught you the most about yourself?)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Free of Fear and Lizzy like this.