1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Gabor Maté: Longer Videos

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by Becca, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Becca

Becca Well known member

For anyone interested in Dr. Gabor Maté, here's a longer (50-ish minute) talk he gave on how stress can cause disease.

He gave another version of this talk, adapted for caregivers (I think for a particular conference?). Parts of it are the same as the first talk he gives, but it's clearly geared towards people in a caretaker role.

Enjoy!

Irene likes this.
  2. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

Thanks for these videos, I learnt something new, despite reading his book, When the Body Says No, many years ago. However, I realise I didn't understand back then how expressing yourself is key.

3. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Amazing - thanks for posting these, I have learnt a lot too. It goes beyond the TMS teachings in saying many serious illnesses are MindBody related.

I'm quite curious though in general, do people who develop serious illnesses; Cancer, Auto immune, MS start with the offset of mild TMS symptoms where they are misdiagnosed - take tablets, but never make the mind-body connection and it manifest into a very serious illness? I am starting to believe, if we don't change our behaviour, understanding and how we manage conflict actively it can lead to very serious and damaging health issues.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  4. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

I am understanding that our emotions start with a thought. Healing needs accurate thinking. If you don't express your true self, then your body will do it for you, with pain.

Mate says, "If I chronically repress my emotional needs in order to make myself 'acceptable' to other people, I increase my risks of having to pay the price in the form of illness. Illness not only has a history but also tells a history. It is a culmination of a lifelong history of struggle for self".

It is a fascinating subject.

Ellen and Ryan like this.
  5. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks Zumbafan and yes it is indeed fascinating. I think the line you have quoted - 'Illness not only has a history but also tells a history. It is a culmination of a lifelong history of struggle for self" answers my question. :)