1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Down the rabbit hole

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by JonT, Jan 24, 2017.

1. JonT

JonT Newcomer

I have had various levels of back pain since 2011 as well as issues with chronic pain and tightness in my right leg since the summer of 2014 and tightness and chronic pain in my forearms since the fall of 2015. In every case there was a physical trigger for the pain but the fact it persisted is confusing since I used to participate in a number of sports and when I got hurt I would heal fine. Currently the most intense pain switches between my right leg and my right forearm although both always have some pain.

I have been going to physiotherapists, massage therapists and chiropractors since 2013 and have also seen acupuncturists, a rheumatologist and doctor for trigger point injections. Generally my back issues have continued to improve but I have had less success with the other areas of pain, and have no clear diagnosis as to any reason why the muscles in my body should be chronically tight (the rheumatologist told me to let him know if I ever figure out what is wrong with me).

I read The Mind body Prescription about a month ago, and have just finished reading The Divided Mind. I fit the personality profile very well and I know I repress my emotions so I think it is plausible that I have TMS. I’m naturally a very skeptical person so I don’t necessary find all of Dr. Sarno’s arguments compelling but I completely acknowledge that emotions do cause anxiety and the body to behave involuntary so I can rationally accept the argument that emotions could be causing me physical pain.

I have just started taking a MBSR course which I am hoping will give me more insight into both my emotions and the pain in my body.

2. hopeful_guitarist

hopeful_guitarist Peer Supporter

Welcome, JonT. Sounds like you're on the right track. I started out pretty skeptical but I'm quickly becoming a believer as my pain declines even as I stop doing all the things I thought were controlling my pain in the past: stretches, ice packs, anti-inflammatories, ointments, lumbar cushions, etc. Best of luck to you as you continue down the path!

3. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Welcome JonT. I chuckled when I read your title and post as I have often thought over the past year that I feel I went 'down the rabbit hole' 1 1/2 years ago when I read Dr Sarno's first book. Fortunately, I'm so skeptical I was even skeptical of my doctor's diagnosis of, 'You just have to live with this from now on.' I know that feeling of muscles just not wanting to release very well. I have had my muscle tension melting away with mind body healing for 1 1/2 years now to an almost complety relaxed state. (Some bodies heal overnight and some take awhile. Mine was in a really bad state.)