1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Don't overthink it

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by sewmuch, May 14, 2014.

1. sewmuch

sewmuch Member

I went to a yoga class today which I highly recommend for anyone. You are doing yoga if you just go, sit and breathe. (That is what it was originally all about.)

I used to do yoga for the physical as much as the mindfulness and breathing. Now for me it all about the letting go and mindfulness. (Herbie did a great post about mindfulness.) But it is so good to do the physical practice and be ok where I am.

Anyway, today the yoga instructor casually said about a posture "don't overthink it". Simple but profound for yoga and anything in life. We are at our best when we let go and let it flow. Thinking too hard and grasping too hard rarely bring the desired results and certainly do not enhance the process or journey.

Reading Dr. Schubiner's book a couple of years ago revealed this to me at the beginning. You cannot be all things to all people, you are human, and sometimes we all are mistakes even with the best of your intentions. And most important off all, be kind to yourself.

Let go of things that do not serve you ( in many meanings of that phrase.). And I have found that releasing future expectations is the other side of the coin.

2. Joey2276

Joey2276 Peer Supporter

I've thought of doing ygoa but havent since I am new to TMS and think no way I can do those poses; now I may go:)

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

There's a fine line between doing an activity for the sake of the activity (the benefit of it), and performing an activity to reduce pain. Be careful. The deeper brain knows why you're doing it, so choose wisely.

Since there's nothing wrong structurally with the body, you can do anything you want to. But confidence has to be there or it can sometimes backfire on people by increasing pain.

The key is the fear which is a byproduct of the belief that you truly do have TMS. When you know it!...that's when the healing really begins.

IrishSceptic, heleng, tarala and 2 others like this.
  4. sewmuch

sewmuch Member

I agree Steve. I had practiced yoga for about 8 years before TMS really got me. I was away from it for about 3 years being fearful of the practice but I so missed the non physical aspects of it.

Joey, if you are interested, look for a gentle class. Go talk with the instructor before class and tell her/him that you want to attend class and will likely spend the class in a comfortable sitting, lying down, or child's pose postion and breathing and being mindful. Any true yoga instructor will be happy for you to just be there. And you may find some gentle movements that you will want to try. No one will be watching or judging. It is all about you.

If you are not ready for a class, look for some deep breathing/mindfulness on you tube or the internet. I think Herbie wrote a great post about beathing not too long ago.

Good luck to you and sending positive energy.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I can't do the yoga pretzel movements and fold my legs so I do what I can.
    I mainly sit and do deep breathing and meditation. Some gentle arms movements, too.

6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I love this sewmuch, so much wisdom -- Awesome, :)

7. Joey2276

Joey2276 Peer Supporter

Update: I did recently begin doing yoga and I have to say it's great. I dont do all of the poses but just being there ( I make sure the places I go to are more about meditation and mindfullness than the corporate yoga type places) I feel very relaxed, present, peacefull by the end of the session and this feeling stays with me for a good day or so afterward. The calmness feels great! It really quiets the mind for me in away I dont think would work by my self; atleast not at this point.

Enrique, Forest and Ellen like this.
  8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, Joey. It's great to know you're back taking yoga classes, and that the emphasis is on meditation and mindfulness that make you feel relaxes and at peace. Being at class helps because you probably all feel each other's peace.

9. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

Hmm... I'm inspired to try yoga! There are classes at my gym and I always say I'll do one but never do. Good time for a resolution! (or revolution)

10. sewmuch

sewmuch Member

Joey, that is great! I am so glad to hear that it is bringing peace and relaxation and presence to you. That is what yoga is supposed to do. In fact the physical exercises were developed to release a little energy and prepare the body and mind to let go, really the reason for yoga. Western practice has adapted it and focused it more to the physical practice. But is all about the breath and being present and letting go. Good for you doing something kind for yourself.

Enrique, first, you really helped me and opened my eyes a few years ago to another path of possibilities and healing. Thank you deeply for your support. And I am glad you are thinking about classes. Check out what options you have. I have found the spectrum of studios between a very physical practice (usually Ashatanga), a slow and deep practice (yin), and many things in between or at different points. Just like many other things in life, find what works for you at this time and what feels right. If one does not click with you, try another. It should feel good and right for you. And that certainly can be different each day.

One quote I really like and come back to often is "do what you can, with what you have, where you are." So simple and helpful to me. So forgiving and positive. Our time here is short, we all do the best we can, let's not beat ourselves up with shoulds, coulds, and woulds but live each day and moment. Wishing all the best for 2015.

Ellen, tarala and Forest like this.
  11. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I can't put it into words why, but it really touched my heart to see you write that, @sewmuch. I guess it's nice to see how little posts a few years back can still be remembered later. Thanks for dropping back by. :)

And thanks for giving us the update @Joey2276. As I mentioned in another thread, I think doing this is very valuable. I like to think of each thread as a long-term ongoing conversation. It isn't always the case, but the notification emails can be crucial for this, bringing back members who we haven't seen for a while. This is a very important role!

Ellen likes this.
  12. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

Aww Thanks for your words. I am very honored to have been able to be a part of your path to healing!

And thanks for your advice on Yoga. I am a little intimidated by it, I don't know why, but I am going to do it. :)

13. sewmuch

sewmuch Member

Enrique, totally true - a little support and encouragement can mean and do a whole lot.

Don't be intimidated by yoga - actually the opposite. (If it feels intimidating, change classes/studios.) My yoga guru from whom I learned said "...this class is about you, not me the teacher, not your neighbor on the next mat, not anybody else. You take care of yourself and do what is right for you. And that can be different each day and each moment depending on how you feel physically and mentally. This is a place for you to connect with yourself and be good to yourself." So it is totally about that. The physical part - and everyone is different - is just a path to help you get there, and just deep breathing or sitting can be that path at any time. And I also find that there is no judgement (no one is paying attention to anyone else and you will find you are not looking at anyone else either!) Incorporating this into daily life helps with letting go and keeping TMS away as well as being calmer and feeling better inside and out.

Go give it a try and write back about your experience.

14. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

sewmuch, I agree that just deep breathing can lift me out of a pain or anxiety.
    Even just three deep breaths can do that for me. It is profoundly calming.