1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Don't notice the pain when emotional stuff is happening

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Patrisia, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Patrisia

Patrisia Peer Supporter

So... there is this strange phenomenon that, like tonight, me and my fiance broke up. We also had many fights before. Everytime I am going through severely difficult emotional time (like this one), my pain subsides. I barely notice it. It's indeed very strange. My mind does not notice the pain at all and I wonder why wouldn't it intesify instead. Anyone?

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

because it is so painful No distraction would work OR because the TMS regulator in the autonomic has decided thaT you have enough misery to keep you from paying any attention to the repressed stuff in your unconscious.

Super common. Emotional whiplash and bacteriological/viral illness can both temporarily shut off symptoms.... more proof of the TMS diagnosis being correct. The only time my back pain ever left was when I was fighting with my wife or burning up with fever. Clue.

plum likes this.
  3. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

My symptoms used to go away when I was really angry. It’s almost like my nervous system was shocked and didn’t need the distraction in the moment. I remember laughing at how I felt better when I was mad.

plum likes this.
  4. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey sweetheart, sorry to hear this news. Hoping you find your way through.

As to your question, most empathically this demonstrates TMS. My fellow eagles have described it perfectly.

Sending you love ❤️

Dorado likes this.
  5. EricFeelsThisWay

EricFeelsThisWay Peer Supporter

I would imagine your anger/disappointment/hurt/fill-in-the-blank emotion tvwrsjng your current situation is fraying just below the surface, but is intolerable to you to feel, which warrants the pain sensation as a distraction. When the emotions come to the forefront and are now “real”, the function of he pain disappears.

6. NicoleB34

NicoleB34 Well known member

this was one of the first things that made me realize my pain wasnt structural. I have this story i like to tell where i was in a horrific flare for 2 months. i was led to believe a "trigger point" in my muscle was causing it. Well, one day i had a romantic tiff that left me really emotional and anxious for a couple days. All that pain in my pelvis suddenly switched to a tight feeling in the stomach. No pain at all, just anxiety and sadness. Same thing happened when my dog was dying too. it was like the pain switched to a different sensation. When the intense emotions faded, it came back.

keenie82 likes this.
  7. NicoleB34

NicoleB34 Well known member

I had my symptoms subside when fighting a bout of shingles. it was like my body/brain only wanted (or needed) to focus on the bigger problem. For as terrible as shingles was, it was almost nice to have a break from my other pain!

8. Patrisia

Patrisia Peer Supporter

Thank you for all the replies. It's good to know. We got back together again. Now, the questions is, I have 5% of pain left behind and I don't think fighting is a healthy thing to do just to be pain free. Neither is the break up. Would you suggest journaling more often to let these emotions come to the surface without the fights? As of now, I go about my day and stay busy. Much of the time I don't even think about the pain. But sometimes when I have some free time I realize that I would like to be 100%. I know I am getting there. I am just wondering which approach would be better - jounaling vs keep on living life as normal and let it do its own thing?