1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Don't give up!! Update...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jules, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Jules

Jules Well known member

After doing this program for two months and seeing a therapist every week, I have to say I am 80% better!! I have been able to paint, pick up heavy things, type, pretty much do whatever I want. Of course in therapy, I have had 2 huge breakthroughs, which did increase the pain and made me doubt, but I stuck with it, which is the biggest key to this whole thing. I had carpel tunnel, thoracic outlet syndrome, myofascial pain syndrome, and number of other "conditions."

Probably the two biggest activities that have triggered pain in the past, vacuuming and aerobic exercise, are the last two I need to tackle. I have every faith that I will, in due time. This is what helped me. Key thing- don't give up!!

1. Believe there is nothing physically wrong with you, and that it all originates in the mind, due to emotional upheaval and repressed feelings and trauma.

2. Take the fear out of the equation. In doubt, do it anyway. The brain feeds off the fear, which causes more pain, which causes more fear. It's a vicious cycle.

3. When the pain rears its ugly head, and it will, take control of it. Don't let it beat you into submission; you control the situation.

4. Journal, journal, journal. Don't go crazy, but do it for five or 10 minutes a day in the beginning, so you really understand what is going on with your emotions.

5. The pain will increase in the beginning, because the brain is desperately trying to keep up the ruse and distraction. I would take ibuprofen, and called it vitamins. I would put heat on my back or wherever, but would you say it just feels good. Anything to trick the brain into thinking it doesn't need the meds or the treatments.

6. If you need therapy, it's OK. In the past I always thought a therapist would help me, and it took four therapists before I found the one that really is helping me, but it is trial and error. There is nothing wrong with needing an outsider to help you deal with repressed emotions or other traumas you've experienced. I may be going to therapy for a while yet, but for me and all of my past trauma, I need it.

7. Feel your feelings, this is a big one. If you need to cry, cry. If you need to yell, yell. If you need to beat your fist into the pillow, do it. This is all healthy and necessary for recovery.

8. DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!! Don't give up, don't give up!!!!!!!!

If you see it through, and really dig your heels in and do the work, it does resolve, and the pain no longer needs to serve as a distraction.

Good luck!!!

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Great post, thanks for sharing your success! I've also had great luck with the strategies you listed and am almost fully pain free :)

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Jules,
    Thanks for the update, with your detailed encouragement. I wondered how you were doing lately...
    Andy B