1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. Bonnard is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Don Miguel Ruiz -- The Four Agreements!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

The Four Agreements!

1) Be Impeccable With Your Word: Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.
    2) Don’t Take Anything Personally: Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.
    3) Don’t Make Assumptions: Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.
    4) Always Do Your Best: Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.
    love
    By Don Miguel Ruiz from his best-selling book “The Four Agreement”.

Pandagirl, yb44 and mousemom like this.
  2. jazzhands

jazzhands Peer Supporter

Words to live by. Thanks for sharing, Eric.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. honeybear424

honeybear424 Well known member

I love this book! Bought my first copy back in 2000 when I saw it was on Oprah's O List.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks, Herbie. The Four Agreements are worth adding to our arsenal of healing.
    The one about not making assumptions is especially helpful. It's not easy to understand
    what most of us say to each other. We may not have time to properly digest what we hear
    from someone. We need to put our minds in a pause button if it's possible. If we have
    a chance to think about what someone says to us, we might get the right information
    being thrown at us. Not to assume the worst of anyone or any situation is a big key to
    living well. If we assume the worst too fast, we may be catastrophizing, which is a TMS no-no.

5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, I saw the list and it made me want to print it here. I have the book on my to read list. Thanks for the good review Honeybear424. And thank you jazzhands. I see these nuggets of wisdom and I cant turn them down, I have to share them with all of my friends here at the community. The more lessons I can learn to better my thoughts then I know the more I will be able to help others in new ways and I always meditate on the truths so I can apply them to every step of my life.

Walt, your reply is awesome. I agree having a pause button on our reactions to life is a key to hold and apply to life cause think of how many times in our lifes we thought someone meant something in a wrong way to hurt us or something like that but come to find out that was never the case. I plan to write my own version of how I've used the 4 agreements above in a lot of my life situations and how I came out on top a winner every single time.

Bless all of you.:)