1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Does this sound like TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Skeleton Bob, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Skeleton Bob

Skeleton Bob New Member

I have a job where sometimes there is heavy lifting. I am not that physically strong, and I used to rely on other people to move the really heavy difficult stuff. Over the last year, a lot of these really strong people have left. They have been replaced by other people who are lazy and not strong at all.

Also recently I have been having lower back pain/stiffness at work and the gym. My back used to be fine though.

I wonder if my back pain is TMS. I have been angry that the useful people at work left, and now more responsibility falls on me. I have also been scared thinking what if I can't take their place, and I hurt myself and can't work. It's almost like I have been scared of hurting my back, and now my body is feeding off my fear and giving me back pain!

Can negative self thinking make TMS worse? I have been having quite a lot of negative self thoughts i.e. I'm not good enough, I will never be better etc.

Do we get TMS pain as a way to stop us thinking about things that make us angry and scared? It's difficult to think about bad things, when all I can think about is pain!

My question is does my back pain sound like TMS?

Thanks (If I'm sound like I'm going mad please let me know haha!)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

You're going mad. :p

3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Seriously though I hurt my back while lifting heavy musical gear (speakers and amplifiers). I was extremely annoyed at the way strapping young men were just standing around while I, a petite slip of a girl at the time, was lugging this stuff around.

There was a general atmosphere of slacking off and leaving other people to shoulder all the responsibity. It was a toxic cocktail and one ripe for the TMS gremlins to strike.

Negative thinking and stuffing down the darker shades of emotion are two main ways we develop or nurture TMS. So to answer your question this definitely sounds like TMS.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  4. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Hi plum I would love to see you lugging heavy music gear, great mental image, were you a musician or player or roadie? Something tells me you weren't an accountant. I would remind Bob's skeleton of projection, in that everything we do not like in others is simply us, what we do not like in ourselves. There is no "other," it's all being played out from within. Solve the problem of self hate and you have cured the world of darkness.

5. Skeleton Bob

Skeleton Bob New Member

Thanks Plum you are funny! Thank god for this forum. Sometimes I am thinking how can someone being lazy give me back pain?! I think that's just mad at doesn't make sense. Then I think about TMS though and it makes a lot more sense.

I do some much negative thinking (I am trying to do less though!) and stuff down so many dark shades of emotion, so no wonder I get so much TMS pain!

Steve Ozanich - wow that is deep, I am going need time to think about what you have said.