1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Does this make sense? Positive reinforcement for pain/subconscious?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by egrolman, Jun 11, 2018.

1. egrolman

egrolman New Member

In this TMS battle, is it ever appropriate to give positive reinforcement to the pain itself if it's 'behaving'? So for instance, if you're being active with not a lot of pain, is it productive or counterproductive in terms of making new neural pathways to think or say to the "monster", which is how I think of the subconscious, "Good boy! Keep it up! Nice job! You're letting ME handle the feelings instead of distracting me with pain and fear."

2. Rosebud

Rosebud Peer Supporter

I certainly want it to make sense!

3. HongKongLouie

HongKongLouie New Member

It's very appropriate and recommended to give your mind positive reinforcement when you do normal activities! SteveO actually talked a lot about whenever he would exercise afterwards he'd have some sort of treat (like a dessert or beer) so his mind would begin to associate rewards with increased activity. Giving a physical reward is a little easier than trying to come up with neural pathways by speaking to your subconscious, but youll just have to try different things and see what works

BruceMC likes this.