1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Does One Have To Work On Emotions To Heal?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Chimichanga, Feb 1, 2022.

Tags:
?

Can One Heal Without Working On Emotions

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Chimichanga

Chimichanga Peer Supporter

There seems to be debate amongst those I converse with in this bubble regarding whether one can actually heal without working on the emotions. Thoughts?

2. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Depends on what you mean by “working on emotions.” For some people, journaling or talking through traumatic situations with a therapist is necessary. For others, it’s about learning how to create new thought patterns and establish habits that lead to an improved ability to manage emotions throughout the day. Then there are those who need to conquer some sort of fear. And of course you’ve got a select number of individuals who’s symptoms went away once they understood they weren’t structural - but I’d be willing to bet this is a major exception to the rule and that most of these people eventually experience some other variation of symptoms. Etc., etc.

The body reacts to emotions. The specific work required depends on your unique situation. But I suspect emotions are always part of it.

Ellen, Cap'n Spanky and Celayne like this.
  3. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

You are right about the people cured after understanding that their problems aren’t structural. According to my TMS therapist, almost always they present with different symptoms later. Although, I guess if they heal with the not-structural understanding and never have more symptoms, we might not ever hear about it.

Dorado likes this.
  4. Chimichanga

I want to say Howard Stern, John Stossel, and the lady from the Rosie O’ Donnell show recovered without going into the emotions, but who knows how long lasting it was. I’m pretty sure Sarno and @Steve Ozanich have mentioned that it is possible to heal without going through the emotions.

Celayne likes this.
  5. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

It’s funny how I remember this from my dad who listens to Sirius radio: Howard was going to therapy twice a week at one point!

6. Chimichanga

Yeah, whether he was telling the truth as he was speaking to Sarno live about not needing to work on emotions is hard to interpret. I don’t know his timelines with therapy or TMS, all I know is what he said about not necessarily needing to work on emotions to get better (as he said about his own experience). As others have said as well. Whether they’re telling the truth is hard to say. More importantly, how long will it last if it is true?

7. Chimichanga

Healing Back Pain: Chapter 3 Audible Book - 31:19 “most patients do not need psychotherapy.” Of course this does not mean we don’t need to work on emotions as there are other modalities, but just found it interesting.

8. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

That sentence made me feel like a huge failure when I realized I needed to work with a therapist. ;) I wanted the instant book cure!

9. Chimichanga

Ouch, hurt me reading the word failure. None of us get to choose who our parents are or how we’re raised by them, which causes many of the root mental health issues. Many of us don’t get to choose other things that spring up later in life that cause others. I can only imagine though that therapy helps everyone. I journal and meditate daily and I see a TMS therapist every week, but I’ve also had success at times without any of these in the past.

10. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I think we're born into this life to understand our life ---all aspects, inner, outer--- as fully as we can before we "exit." This isn't a directive from the Universe. It is a calling of the soul to come to terms with itself, to come into more intimacy with itself, more relationship, more tenderness, more love. So I agree with your statement.

All therapy is not the same, and each person has their own needs, but you almost can't go wrong ---unless the therapy, or other inner work (spiritual for instance) re-enforces a sense of needing to fix or improve yourself. This is a common trap and needs to be seen with eyes open. To me, the best inner work simply reveals our goodness to ourselves.

Celayne and Chimichanga like this.
  11. Chimichanga

Wow, well put Andy. I think many of us (myself included), feel like we need to “fix ourselves,” through therapy.

12. mbo

mbo Well known member

To work on emotions is the last step in the process.
    Previously you have to adquire knowledge about the true meaning of pain:
    Pain = danger, warning !!!!
    instead of the old paradigm pain = injury, illness or pathology
    Of course injury, illness and pathology could be enough for activating the alarm of danger ... but that could be confusing if you exclude other possibilities not related to the human BODY but to the human LIFE.
    With some conductive/ behavioural education you can overcome your pain.
    If that is not enough then you have to consider your repressed, unfelt emotions, mainly rage/anger.

13. jrid32

jrid32 Peer Supporter

What I learned recently after going through months of therapy: Let go, give myself compassion, and there is nothing I "should" be doing / working on. TMS is a loop that runs in your brain, simply acknowledge it as an observer, and give yourself compassion.

Chimichanga and Celayne like this.