1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Does it get worse before it gets better?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by freedomseeker, Aug 16, 2018.

1. freedomseeker

freedomseeker Peer Supporter

Does anyone have an increase in symptoms while doing this program? It’s been up and down for me. But lately more downs than ups, and I am 2 weeks into the program. I am learning so much and applying some of the concepts and my ways of thinking and responding to my symptoms. Is it normal to have some days that are worse than usual while healing?

2. CarboNeVo

CarboNeVo Well known member

yes, totally normal.. the behavior is called extinction burst...your brain is trying to suck you back in the fear-preoccupation loop.. and it's actually extremely good at it, so be really careful to not fall back into it's trap. Lots of people freak out and start thinking they missed some emotion or trigger and bam, they are back obsessing with it.
    All you need to do is switch your focus away from anything related to your pain/TMS to some absorbing task.. that will render the flareup useless.
    For example for me working out or playing video games helps me to switch my focus away from the body.

Best of luck

freedomseeker and westb like this.
  3. freedomseeker

freedomseeker Peer Supporter

Thank you CarboNeVo! That's good to know, because I felt like I was starting to get sucked back into it. I will try to keep my focus away from the symptoms while reminding myself of what my brain is trying to do here.