1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern U.S.(New York) Daylight Time. It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. Bruce is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern (now US Daylight Time).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have a practical example of the dialogue technique?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Pilot in pain, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Pilot in pain

Pilot in pain Peer Supporter

I am not entirely sure I understand or get what I am supposed to be saying. Is it a point counter point sort of thing or am I supposed to ask a question and then answer it myself. Just not really clear what I am supposed to be doing, arguing with myself or answering my own questions! hehe

2. Walt Oleksy

Walt Oleksy Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, pilot. Do whatever in a post. Ask a question and answer it yourself is fine. Others may reply with a different viewpoint.

What's a "dialogue technique"? Getting relief from any pain by talking to someone about it?

I talk to my dog all the time, telling her I have a problem or someone has pissed me off. She can't answer and I have to be
    careful she doesn't think I'm mad at her about anything.

I also talk to myself, although I don't get an answer.
    I talk to my computer a lot, chewing it out for not working as fast or well as I want.

It's like playing tennis with yourself. It's the next best thing to talking something out with a person.

A neighbor once told me when I first moved next door: "Don't tell me your problems and I won't tell you mine."
    I think that works with neighbors, but not necessarily with everyone.

nancy likes this.