1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 4 Doctors

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by wannarun, May 20, 2015.

1. wannarun

wannarun Peer Supporter

What was the most disheartening thing a doctor has told you about your symptoms? In what ways have you kept that in your mind? If you feel comfortable sharing, post your response in theStructured Educational Program section of the PTPN's discussion forum. We would love to hear from you.

My favorite was the neurologist who commented on my peripheral neuropathy diagnosis.

"In most cases we don't know the cause. You will have this the rest of your life. It might subside in your sixties." this was followed by a shoulder shrug.

Mentally I was like FU buddy. I kept looking for answers. Some were dead ends, some things helped, but just accepting and giving up is unacceptable. Had I stuck with them I would be no where. I just don't know why you would tell a patient to give up. Hope is a powerful force.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I've posted before about the head of cancer surgery of the big hospital who wanted to open my neck
    a dozen years ago when he diagnosed a tiny pimple and said it was cancerous. I insisted he first take a culture
    and I finally got him to agree. It turned out to be a tiny water pimple. I saved myself from having
    neck surgery. I've been skeptical of doctors ever since.

3. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I think what's most disheartening about MDs is their post-Cartesian pseudo-scientific bias that assumes there is no connection between your emotional life and your health. Like they never talk to you or ask you, "How are you doing?" Like none of that stuff really matters. Also, their belief that no one ever can self-heal without some form of medical intervention with drugs or the knife, like people don't just get better on their own when we all know from personal experience that just isn't true. Of course, today it's a "Doctor Business", every MD has a right to a bourgeois life style in the burbs with a flash new Mercedes or Bimmer to confirm your election to the secular priesthood. Maybe a good plumber or skilled carpenter ought to have an upscale lifestyle too?