1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 4 Doctor's phone call

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by David25, Apr 5, 2017.

1. David25

David25 Newcomer

After undergoing a few months of physiotherapy during which the symptoms I had seemed to get progressively worse, I revisited my doctor who then suggested I get a few blood tests. I received a call a few days later that confirmed there was nothing wrong. Though I don't remember exactly what was said, the Doctor pretty much told me she was out of ideas and couldn't pin point a particular reason for my ongoing pain. Her suggestion was that I give yoga a try to strengthen my overall body. This was particularly disheartening as it had felt like I'd reached a dead end in my attempt to overcome my arm and shoulder pain and had began to begrudgingly accept that this may be something I have to deal with on a permanent basis. Thinking back to that period I remind myself that I have come a long way since then. Although I am by no means pain free at this early stage, generally speaking the pain isn't accompanied with the same sense of fear and confusion as before. I am becoming better at identifying certain stressful factors on a day to day basis that contribute to the occurrence of pain and therefore it's not an issue that concerns me as it it did before.

2. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

David, I can definitely relate to the thought "Is this pain permanent?". When you go through doctor visits, x-rays, MRIs, and therapy, all to find yourself in the same pain as before, it's devastating.

You are totally right that fear is the biggest trigger of symptoms. It keeps us from trying to overcome our pain. We develop rituals: stretching, medicine, massage, ice, heat, rest. Accepting TMS means shifting your concentration from the physical to the psychological.

Good luck to you! I'm confident you'll become pain-free!

- Matt