1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 Doctor Doctor

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Ryan79, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Ryan79

Ryan79 Peer Supporter

What was the most disheartening thing a doctor has told you about your symptoms? In what ways have you kept that in your mind?

I wouldn't say anyone has ever told me something that I thought was rude or made me give up. My first PCP that I saw wouldn't entertain the notion of a mind body connection very much. She believes I had tendonitis in both hands, and suggested PT. She's a nice lady but mostly stuck in the physical structural concept of medicine. She only believed that sweaty palms or shaking could be brought on by stress. Looking back both of those are autonomic responses to stress they just are the most obvious and noticeable ones that we can observe.

My second PCP I saw believes its a mind body connection and that affirmation lasted a little while in subsiding the pain down to lower levels. Listening to this youtube video a lot and the way she talks give me hope.

Dr. Lissa Rankin: "Mind Over Medicine: Scientific Proof You Can Heal Yourself" | Talks at Google

As an optometrist I've grown to dread going to work since the work is boring and repetitive. I've noticed I've become less talkative and not engaging patients enough. I used to love being an optometrist because of relationships. This doctor gave me great ideas to help talk to patients again. I'm usually introverted and wonder how I can open conversations with patients. This gave me hope that I can have fun again at work, and find this a treasure to go to work and not dread it.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I love my work as a writer of books for children and adults even though I live at or below poverty level.

I'm glad that video helps you to enjoy your work again, but also suggest that maybe spend more time with your hobbies or sports,
    and even spend weekends doing something creative. It can give you positive things to think about during the work week.
    And take pride in knowing you are in a very useful and helpful occupation as an optometrist.

3. ceturner

ceturner Newcomer

Thanks for posting this video! I'm so glad I saw it. :)