1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Do you have weakness?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by music321, Oct 20, 2017.

1. music321

music321 Well known member

Thanks for the replies. I'm refreshing the thread after all this time since though I appreciate the answers, I think that my question was misunderstood. When I ask about weakness being caused, I'm wondering if it's possible if the muscles per se might be in top working order, but might not be able to function because of psychological issues in a very acute sense.

What I mean by this is, is it possible that a person might be very weak, have some sort of breakthrough/realization, and then be able to exhibit normal strength within minutes. I'm wondering if a person can go to bed after having been weak for years, and wake up with strength and vigor, irrespective of building muscle or conditioning.

In other words, I'm speculating about a psychogenic weakness in the absence of muscle weakness.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi there,

Good to hear from you again. I don't think you can separate these sorts of "weakness"...that just isn't how the mind/body works. It might be possible, yes, but for most people's bodies, they'll take some time to build strength back up after they are out of pain. There is nothing physiologically "wrong" with the muscles or nerves but the neural pathways take time to build up strength and coordination again, regardless of the reason they were out of use. Hope that makes sense.

3. music321

music321 Well known member

It does. Thanks for the reply.