1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Do you guys recommend any books for self improvement or anything to improve?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stevow7, Jun 9, 2022.

Tags:
  1. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

I want to read some books and I have a question, is reading outside of sarnos book a bad thing? for example the "Power of Now"? what other books related to Sarnos could be good to read and also other self improvement books?

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

"Man's Search For Meaning" by Vicktor Frankl is a must read! I liked "Breaking the Habit of being Yourself" by Joe Dispenza as well.

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  3. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Nothing wrong with reading self-improvement books! Some fit in very nicely in with TMS theory. I'm sure you'll get a lot of recommendations.

I think books on mindfulness can be a great supplement. Jon Kabat Zinn's books are good place to start. For example, "Full Catastrophe Living". I prefer that to
    Eckhart Tolle.

miffybunny likes this.
  4. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

miffybunny likes this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

You know, @stevow7, you might want to examine why you feel the need to ask permission to expand your horizons beyond Dr. Sarno's books.

It's one thing to ask for recommendations - that's healthy (although you've asked for, and received, book recommendations multiple times in the past). The thing is, you're not a beginner - you've been around for a while, and it is NOT healthy, this far into your journey, to be asking if it's okay to read anyone other than Dr. Sarno. It feels like you've never read the many posts on this forum from people who have achieved success, and who have shared their recommendations for additional resources, including the books and authors just mentioned above. Do you read posts by other people?

I know you're struggling, and I know that you have serious OCD, so I'm very sorry for you, but the fact is that you're stuck. You're constantly looking for advice and reassurance from others (eight pages worth), but I'm kind of thinking that you never did the work.

This is your brain on TMS. One of these days you have to take control of your fearful brain, reject its desire to keep you stuck in fear, and take positive action to do something different.

I know that this is easier said than done, but the fact is that you know what you need to do - and you're letting your brain talk you into not doing it.

Good luck,

~Jan