1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Do set backs throw off healing/progress?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Leslie735, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Leslie735

Leslie735 Well known member

I'm having a set back right now. I'm dealing with vaginal pain/symptoms and have been for over 2 months now. About 6 weeks ago I jumped onto the TMS bandwagon. I've done it before (three years ago with bladder symptoms) I figured I can do it again. Well things were going well. My symptoms were lessoning and I was getting rid of the anxiety around it. I even went a full 8 days without symptoms and I was thrilled. I actually thought I was healed! Well they can back, this week and different. It went from a pain to a unpleasant sensation. I'm in a panic to say the least. I'm having trouble getting the fear under control. I'm worried I have to start all over and I've completely setback my healing process. :(

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

For most of us, TMS recovery is not a linear process. It's often more of a 2 steps forward, one step back type of thing. Relapse or change in symptoms is very common. It's just part of the process. Hang in there and keep doing what you're doing. Try not to calendar watch or count the days with or without symptoms. Try to live your life no matter the type or intensity of symptoms. Stay calm and be good to yourself. Keep thinking psychological. You've made good progress and can get back on track soon if you don't lose your belief that it is TMS.

Ines and Leslie735 like this.
  3. Leslie735

Leslie735 Well known member

You're right Ellen! Its just so difficult when you have a set back to not let the fear creep in. Whats funny (not funny), I've been having other TMS symptoms but I recognize them as TMS symptoms and am not giving them the attention and they're going away. I've been getting a lump in my throat feeling for over a week now, foot pain etc. But this I can't seem to do the same.

Ellen likes this.
  4. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

What are you afraid of? Who are you still angry at?

Setbacks are part of healing. They exist in the form of extinction induced variability either through a conditioned response or the continuing need for the diversion. Everyone who has a setback feels as though they have failed or that they have to start over. Neither is true.

Fear is the cause, and it’s not panic from symptom but symptom from panic. The horse can’t push the cart. When you get cause and effect in the right order the pieces fall into place. Work on your fear first, not body.

5. Jane.Fearless

Jane.Fearless New Member

that's something I'm experiencing! thank you for your words ! I think I'm experiencing the setbacks because I have the success of constant distraction! i don't know how to tackle it, either i'm obsessive or i run from my symptoms and fears of it.

6. Avnita Suri

Avnita Suri Peer Supporter

Hi @Jane.Fearless, are you still getting the symptoms of vaginal pain / symptoms? If so, can you tell me the following:
    1. What are the exact symptoms now, i.e. burning, itching, pain, etc...?
    2. Do you ever get relief from them at certain times of the day, certain situations like work, on holiday, etc...
    3. What treatments have you tried already?

Any other relevant information might be able to help me help you xx

7. Jane.Fearless

Jane.Fearless New Member

@Avnita Suri thank you for your answer.
    Unfortunately I have still my symptoms.
    1. I have many symptoms the biggest symptom is a feeling of arousal deep in my lower abdomen/pubic bone - it’s like a sexual excitement.
    I also have a tingeling in my Vulva Area (always different places) and Buttocks
    A high urinating Frequency
    Sometimes Pain in my urethra
    Sometimes a burning feeling in my Vulva Area
    Sometimes feelings of fine needles in my Vulva Area

My list is longer than that and I don’t have every Symptoms every time, it’s changeable ... sometimes I have 3-4 symptoms at the same time sometimes I have 1 symptom but the feeling of arousal is pretty persistent.

2. When i sleep I mostly don’t have symptoms, sometimes it’s good in the first hour when I awake, sometimes not.

Sometimes when i see a very good film or something in Netflix it’s gone.

In the most time when I walk the symptoms are pretty much better (than I have no symptoms only the feeling of arousal sometimes)

whenever I see a pattern It’s changing so I can’t say for sure.

3. I’ve been in hospital and had a MRI of my back, a Urine test and something to see how my nerves works from the pelvis to the legs. This was fine.

Avnita Suri likes this.
  8. Avnita Suri

Avnita Suri Peer Supporter

Hi @Jane.Fearless , I will PM as some things are a bit personal. It's great that you've got the all-clear from the doctors, as now you know it's all emotional. Yes, but you've tried the basics and still not enough results, right? This has happened to me in the past with pain in my back / shoulder. I know you can try to be mindful of not being fearful, and keep saying it's emotional, but deeper things are at play (and need releasing).
    For the time being, I'd ask you to have a think about what was going on in your life when the symptoms started up again (or just before). You see, we can expect good (great) health until we are triggered off by some event; a person, a situation that makes our bodies react. We may be fine outwardly, but inwardly we are hurting and not resolved some things.