1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Do meds hinder healing

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

All comments are excepted

2. Crissyxox

Crissyxox Peer Supporter

Interesting question. I know for me...I gave up taking Lyrica (I was already just taking one) the day I started tms therapy. For me, it was just another reinforcer for my thinking that I had an injury. I'm not pain free. It is difficult sometimes but it kind of fell into the same category as physio and other therapies.

**** I by no means think this is appropriate for everyone's situation. Everyone's pain and tms is different.

3. Boston Redsox

I agree chris i take a light does for my mood of gabapentin but it does nothing for my pain ...i dont want to make more because i dont want to be numb

4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Great question my friend. I think some medications can hinder healing. It may help one get through the pain cycle, but it suppresses emotions and pain.

I know that when I take meds, I feel like a zombie and don't feel like myself and quite disconnected with myself and surrounds. I also think it can effect journalling and meditation because your thoughts are not surfacing or surfacing in a natural fashion.

5. music321

music321 Well known member

I think that they certainly can. I take fluoxetine, and lack the ability to cry as a result. It seems the whole purpose of many psychiatric medications used for depression is to prevent the experience of emotional suffering. Without emotional suffering, we are disconnected from our emotions and suffer physically. I think that feeling emotion either too strongly or not strongly enough could hinder recovery.

6. Crissyxox

Crissyxox Peer Supporter

I actually get what you are saying Markus. I'm at a point in my life that I know in my heart that I need this healing to happen no matter what. I'm super committed to it regardless if busyness, distractions and others ideas on it. Nothing can stop the healing if that's where you are at. I get what you are saying.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  7. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

I totally agree with you. After thinking about it for some time I'm in the process of leaving this forum. It's hindering my recovery. I think Marco said something similar yesterday. I've decided to refocus, simplify and start working on my mind and body properly. This is a wonderful place and I've really appreciated being here, but it's simply not working for me. I've said it before, we're all different and we need to find what works for us.

Boston Redsox and Markus like this.
  8. Boston Redsox

Thx u all, all valid points meds and this forum are crutches to help us out eventually we need to drop then both .

9. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

Your analyzing and looking to deep into tms. If you need some meds to help you its OK, but when your ready to free yourself you will. The truth is always waiting to be known. I was on meds at one point and they didn't work for me. I knew deep inside something was not right. My ego wouldn't let me know the truth. Get opinions but ultimately the desicion is yours.

You are all great people just looking for answers, look long enough and you will find it. Its the power of the believer, listen to your heart and let go of focus of the body.

Ryan

balto, riv44 and Ellen like this.
  10. Boston Redsox

Great insightful post Ryan

Thx you

11. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

If you come to the forum to learn and really apply what you've learn, then come back to share what you have learned that cure you then this forum is a great place for resource on mind body knowledge and a great community. It will become a distraction if we think of it as another facebook or twitter.
    We come here to look for help then to further our understanding on mind body subject. Any other purpose would be a crutch like you've said.

12. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

It took me a year to throw away all my Xanax. Like Ryan said above, I was ready to let go of my pain on my own. At that time I've learned enough about mind body med to shift by belief from structural to psychological. My mind is my medicine and I'm on my own. No more med for me.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  13. Boston Redsox

Taking meds have no real power on if we heal or not...as long as we deal with our emotions and do the work and know that the meds are just a crutch i know myself being in constant pain does not help healing for me