1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Do I Have To Understand?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by NIClubber, Jun 23, 2015.

1. NIClubber

NIClubber Peer Supporter

While I'm reading Sarno's book, The MindBody Prescription, he is using a lot of scientific names and medical terms. I don't understand a lot of it. Do I need to understand all of it to significantly reduce my pain?

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi NIClubber,

I don't think you need to understand everything Dr. Sarno writes in his book, but you do need to have a good understanding of why people get TMS and how to recover from it. I have a great book to recommend to you because it is written in a simple, basic style but adheres to Sarno's theories and teaching. It is written by a former patient of his. The book includes everything you need to understand and recover from TMS, but nothing extra or unnecessary. The name of the book is Use Your Mind to Heal Your Body by Stephen Conenna. I especially like his journaling technique. It is available on Amazon and hopefully in your country.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, NIClubber. I agree with Ellen and am glad she recommended the book by Conenna.

I also don't understand much of the scientific stuff about TMS. I keep it simple, mainly belief in TMS causing our pain and that it is not structural. I don't think it is necessary to understand the science of TMS. I find it helpful to live in the present, not the past,
    ignore any pain, and make every day as pleasant and positive as I can. Deep breathing is really a big help.

4. NIClubber

NIClubber Peer Supporter

One of the things he has talked about is muscle spasms in the back. That's what I've been told is causing my back pain as well. But I've had the back pain for nearly four years ...........

5. NIClubber

NIClubber Peer Supporter

That book is on Amazon in the UK, so I will order it over the next couple of days.