1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Do I have TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by nano von flitter, Apr 14, 2017.

1. nano von flitter

nano von flitter Newcomer

Hi, I'm a 47yo guy suffering from sciatic nerve type pain which is mainly focused in the muscles on the lower left side of my back, my left butt cheek, and the side of my left hip. Sometimes down the leg. The pain started about 2 1/2 months ago. It was very gradual at first, not even painful, just a tightness. I tried doing stretches but to no avail. After about 2 weeks, it became somewhat painful, so I started resting more and staying in bed. During this time the pain increased dramatically, to the point where I was limping, had difficulty getting up or down and could not sit. Around this time I discovered Dr. John Sarno and TMS, I read "Healing Back Pain". It suggested that there’s nothing wrong with my back and that I should increase my physical activity. So I did this and experienced a significant reduction of pain. This gave me alot of confidence. I had been planning a trip to the Philippines which I thought I would cancel, however armed with my new found confidence and less pain I decided to go. Before my flight I took some acetaminophen and since I boarded last I was able to capitalize on 3 seats next to each other that were vacant, so I didn't have to sit that much for the 10hr flight. So everything was fine until I ended up having to ride a mini bus for like and hour and a half, it was really cramped so I had to just sit uncomfortably the whole time without moving. This really aggravated the pain, over the next few days it got so bad I couldn't walk, so my friend took me to the doctor. I got an x-ray which showed my spine to be in really good condition for my age. The doctor attributed my pain to a muscle spasm and prescribed feldene (an NSAID), a topical cream and acetaminophen combined with vitamin b12 complex. I took this for 7 days and once again I was almost pain free. I flew back home business class so I could lie down. When I returned home my friend was visiting for 10 days so I had to plan activities and take her places. This involved alot of driving, which was fine at first, but after about 7 days my pain got really bad. After my friend left I found myself staying in bed taking asprin, naproxin, and acetaminophen, the pain was once again quite horrible. I live in a smaller town but I found a pain clinic nearby that was offering "prolotherapy" this consists of injecting a mixture of lidocane and dextrose into you back. I thought I'd give it a try. It reduced my pain by about 50%, I don't have to take pills anymore but I still have pain and cant resume normal activity yet.

So what do you guys think? Any input is appreciated.

2. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

Thinking back to around the time you started feeling pain, do you remember feeling stressed in your professional or personal life? And after reading "Healing Back Pain", did you see personality traits mentioned that describe yourself? From the information you provided, I would give the TMS treatment a try.

- Matt

3. nano von flitter

Yes. I was feeling alot of pressure in my personal life. And yes, I'm a perfectionist, whos hyper self-critical, also I let people use me as a doormat and always put my needs last. Thanks, it can be so painful sometimes, and when I feel hopeless its devastating.

4. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

What you have described here is typical TMS in every manner. The prolo is a great placebo, but you need to further understand why you react like you do in all situations, at that point you heal.

SO

5. nano von flitter

6. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

I would have internal rage during and after that too.

You know the saying, "Fish and guests, both should only be kept a maximum of 3 days." No wonder you had to lie in bed taking aspirin.
    The recent reasons for tms appear obvious to me.

7. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Dr. Sarno says you can't hurt yourself sitting--or lying in bed for that matter, unless you and your bed fall out of a four story window.

Kylin Foster and MSZ812 like this.
  8. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Sounds like you got lucky and got a good doctor who didn't start sharpening his scalpels when he saw you coming. Modern medicine is really good at dx'ing real structural problems, which are rarely the cause of chronic pain. Imaging may often show anomalies that Dr. Sarno termed "gray hair of the spine"--benign structural variations that are harmless--barnacles of life. Muscle spasm sounds like oxygen deprivation, which is one of the causes of TMS pain, excruciating but harmless. It can be some of the most painful of pains, I remember as a kid, awakening in the middle of the night with my first leg cramp, very frightening, I thought my leg was broken.

9. Benjiro

Benjiro Peer Supporter

One hallmark of TMS pain is that it conforms to patterns that belie what you would expect from structural abnormalities. Having ruled out a serious issue, I would absolutely categorize it as a TMS manifestation and proceed with treatment accordingly.

10. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Nano - I had nearly identical sciatica symptoms to yours. I suffered for 16 years with it until I discovered Dr. Sarno and his books. It took me several months to get better, applying the principals the great doctor lays-out. Since then, I have been essentially pain free (over 10 years now).

It's been such a dramatic change in my life. Very grateful!! Best of luck to you!!... :)

11. PAwoodchopper

PAwoodchopper New Member

Awesome thread, don't want to hijack but I've been dealing with same stuff. Also had x-rays and was told same thing. Disc spacing was excellent, under flexion and extension everything flexed as it should, and doc saw no need for further investigation. Never had pain so bad I couldn't go about my day, but still get a pulling sensation in my leg I'm not quite sure about.